Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy

Tutankhpip

Just had the best nights viewing yet. I got my first Messier object, M31. Could only make out a grey fuzzy about 0.5 degrees across so Im assuming that was the core. Also saw an Aquarid meteor and got my first view of Jupiter and the four Galilean moons. It was far too bright though. Any recommendations on filters to dim it down a bit? I had it Barlowed but it was still too bright. I could make out the NEB but only with averted vision

Congratulations, Phillip! :p Andromeda's a lovely target.

To dim the glare of Jupiter down, try a Moon filter or a medium blue one. If you don't have one of those, you can make an aperture mask out of cardboard, it'll cut the incoming light.

I use a neodydium filter and that dims it down a fair bit.

Ditto, i use the Skywatcher LPR (same as the Neodymium) and it really helps out. A ND moon filter would also work and are cheap. But the Neodymium not only dims Jupiter but also enhances the detail slightly without an strange colour cast.

The Baader Moon & Skyglow filter works wonders on Jupiter. Really brings out the detail. It's the only filter I use now on Jupiter and Saturn and it's great on Mars as well. I was testing my new little 80mm triplet APO last night using the Baader filter and it gave impressive detail and colour on Jupiter.

John

Thanks everyone for the advice! @Talitha, I will give the aperature mask a go first as it seems the cheapest solution :p although I know I will eventually end up getting a filter. One more question, is there any way to improve what I saw from M31? Seeing conditions couldnt have been better and my scope was perfectly collimated and cooled. I know my scope isnt huge but its all I can afford at the moment

Hi

Difficult to improve on what you see with m31 , I have a 300p Flextube and all you see at best is a smudge of light with a brighter core , having said that I am within the M25 so I am sure at a really dark site the viewing would be a bit better.

Vlebo

... One more question, is there any way to improve what I saw from M31? Seeing conditions couldnt have been better and my scope was perfectly collimated and cooled. I know my scope isnt huge but its all I can afford at the moment

For galaxies, dark skies make the biggest difference of all. My 6" scope performed like my 10" scope when I took it to dark skies.

Your smaller scope might actually be an advantage there - easier to transport away from light pollution :p

Archived