Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Dangerous-Dave

North American Nebula, Hubble palette

Finally put this one to bed last night. I grabbed some initial SII subs the other night but found out that 10 minutes unbinned is way too short, so added a bunch of 20 minute subs last night.

So, in total this is 28x600s Ha, 23x600s OIII and 19x600s + 12x1200s SII = about 16 hours of exposures. I am going to experiment with binning for colour data next time as 4 all-nighters for one image seems a little excessive.

Not totally happy but I am sick of looking at this - would appreciate any comments/suggestions! Too colourful/blue?

ngc7000hubble1a.jpg

thanks for looking

It's a good result and worth the effort. I might set a lower saturation for subtlety, perhaps. As for binning colour, I never do this when combining with narrowband. There is too much difference in the star sizes and shapes. It has never worked for me.

I will bin colour only when I feel I have to, when shooting high in the sky and with a focal length of over 900mm or so.

Olly

Fantastic work Dave, the areas of dark nebulosity show beautifully and I love the way the ionisation band stands out so brightly. Superbly processed.

Many thanks for the comments all. I think you could be right about it being a bit too saturated Olly, here is a very slightly toned down version.

ngc7000hubble1desat.jpg

Looks like a maelstrom, great detail and I for one love the bright colours.

The second (less saturated) version is the one.

And wow! What an outstanding image and well worth the massive time you spent on this.

It's utterly beautiful.

Thats really nice, can you let me know what kit was used to capture this i.e. camera etc :o

As BeyondVision has said, this shows the structure superbly. I'm sure a trained eye could work out the structure in a lot of mono/Ha shots of this nebula but the hubble palette somehow works really well for my brain and makes the shapes really come to life. Thanks for sharing.