SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Got scope 1st night clear skies :D

This is maybe the wrong forum for this but i have to tell you all, I ordered my Skywatcher 200p from FLO on friday and 1st thing on monday it arrived at my door WOOHOO. Thankyou so very much FLO 1st class service and great customer support over the phone HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

So last night i sat from 9.30pm looking at the skies thinking oh well these clouds are never going to clear maybe tomorrow.

So i decided to let my dogs out at 12.30am and was amazed to see incredibly clear skies, i was jumping around like a kid in a sweet shop, ran back indoors and grabbed my 200p dob put it outside and waited 20mins for it to cool down.

When i had decided ok ive waited long enough pointed it straight at jupiter (my garden is south facing) and was like WOW! i could clearly see Jupiter's cloud system and 4 of her moons i was gobsmacked, started jumping around shouting in a whisper (which is such a funny thing to do) to her indoors and even she was impressed for about a nano second lol.

After about half an hour looking at jupiter inserting barlow and 10mm so on, i decided to look at random stars in the sky, WOW! is all i can say i really cant believe how many stars are out there it absolutely blew my mind.

So im not the youngest person so at 2am i was starting to feel tired so i randomly pointed the dob towards the east and there in my eyepiece by total luck was a double cluster with another cluster jus above it to the right WOW!

My first night with a proper scope was an amazing experience that i will never forget.

Im hooked forever

Clear Skies everyone

Thanks for reading

Wakey

Congrats on your first viewing with your new scope. Its such an amazingly feeling you get when you see something in detail, with your own eyes for the first time! I almost positively wet myself with excitement when I first used my scope back in July and sighted Saturn. It's definitely not something I'm going to forget anytime soon! Twas awesome! :p

Hi Wakey.

That's a nice and emotive report. 8" of glass will show you a lot.

Just wait until you'll see Saturn. LOL. Here in portugal it's low in the sky after sunset, to the right and obve Venus. Can you syill see it there?

The best thing about that report (besides wakey having a great night) is that he's conveyed such enthusiasm that you cannot fail to be drawn in by it. I'm pretty sure that's the kind of post that will convince other people who are considering getting into astronomy. That can only be a good thing.

Thanks wakey.

"she was impressed for about a nano second "

That's great news for you Wakey cos it sounds like you'll have the scope all to yourself lol. Great report - reminds me of the first time I looked at Saturn.

Welcome to the group and clear skies to you! :p

Really made me smile reading that report - look forward to your next one!

The first time I looked at Saturn through my 200 I shot inside to get the wife, she said she noticed half a skip in my step as I left the room......I naturally denied all knowledge of this....I was pretty damn chuffed though. That's what I love about this hobby, everytime I see something new it feels like I'm the first to see it.....even though I know i'm not ,it feels unique to me!!!

Archived