Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Tantalus

Today's APOD

IRAS 05437+2502 taken by Hubble. Astronomy Picture of the Day

Not sure why I like it so much, but I absolutely love this image. The structure in the blue-grey dust cloud is stunning in itself, but that bright peak really tops it off, if you see what I mean. Apart from that, can't really say anything else, just stunning... :)

Looks like the spot Superman goes to when he has some deep thoughts to unravel. That is an Ice place though, this is a heap of dust, but decorated with starlight. Hard to believe it's only 1/4 the size of the moon. That's Hubble for you.

Ron.

'A heap of dust, but decorated with starlight.' I think the phrase is even better than the image! TBH I find the picture tad 'Hollywood' but only a tad. If I ignore the diffraction spikes the conical dust structure is breathtaking.

Olly

PS Collimation's not bad!!

Edited by ollypenrice

Hmmm, do Hubble pictures inherently have diffraction spikes at all? Or have these been added to make it look more Christmassy (sorry, Holiday Seasony)?