Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazerslounge TEST4THEORY, SETI, Milkyway and Folding Team!

GazOC

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I finally configured my account. Last February, I ran into a couple of problems with creating it, so with my usual sticktoitiveness, I gave up. SETI wrote me recently to ask me to [removed word] or get off the pot (OK, OK! They didn't really say that!) so I tried again, and was successful this time.

Now I have to leave my computer on at night.

When I configured SETI, I asked it to work between 1AM and 7AM. Instead, it works any time the machine is on, unless I suspend it deliberately. I've been bopping around the help files for advice on how this beast works, but I am not seeing anything that really explains what I am doing, except that I am helping SETI. OK, maybe I wouldn't understand, but it is using 100% of my computer time when it is running.

I'm confused! :?

If you just sit and watch task manager then it will take 99% of your processor. But get something else running in the background - or even just wiggle the mouse around on the screen and you'll see the percentage drop.

BOINC is a very low priority program and as such will only use whats left of the processing power, you could set it to only run when the screen saver kicks in - then you know that it won't be running while you're using the PC>

Ant

• 3 weeks later...
Standing Outage Notice: Every Tuesday at 17:00 UTC we have a regular 4-hour outage for database backup (and other system maintenance). Most servers and web site functions will be out during these outages.

trust me to try and set it up in the only time in the week it is down :D :D

If you just sit and watch task manager then it will take 99% of your processor. But get something else running in the background - or even just wiggle the mouse around on the screen and you'll see the percentage drop.

BOINC is a very low priority program and as such will only use whats left of the processing power, you could set it to only run when the screen saver kicks in - then you know that it won't be running while you're using the PC>

Ant

Hmmm. OK. I set it to use at most 80% of my cycles, and to work between midnight and 7 am. After a while, I realized if I clicked on "run according to preferences" it might do what I asked. It seemed to take four or five days to start doing that, though. I have now changed the preferences again, and it's been several days without any change apparent. I didn't like it running my processor at 100%, 100% of the time, though.

It's strange that some people have issues with it while others don't.

I've always had Seti set to run all the time. Never had any problems - strange...

Hope that you manage to get it sorted WH - this does remind to reinstall the software after the OS re-install.

Ant

If your machine is currently working on project, go to the 'projects' tab in BOINC manager, highlight the project, and click on 'update.' This will force the system to communicate with the seti server and get your preferences all set up, etc. You may have to do this a couple of times, I find. Your machine isn't in constant contact with seti, it only communicates at the end of a project or when you tell it to. That's as much as I've figured out, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...