Getting the most out of Jupiter?

Ags

I have had a couple of looks at Jupiter lately - the first time I have seen the planet for a couple of decades! But I've been a bit disappointed with what I have managed to get out of my telescope (102mm Mak) - basically I see a small brilliant disk cut by a dark band and a fainter band. Most of the planet is too bright and dazzling to see any modulation or detail. Jupiter is so bright it is a bit unpleasant. I've tried a higher magnification to reduce the surface brightness, but that doesn't do enough and the seeing has not been good enough for the higher magnification anyway.

Any tips or tricks?

Filtering is the way to go. Don't forget what you are looking at is a sunny day on Jupiter , just the same as when viewing the moon and as with photographing bright objects you need to alter the exposure . Neutral Density filters are also useful as used in photography. Just experiment.

Thanks - I want to avoid spending yet more money though. I'm hoping that there is a low-cost trick. Next time I am going to go indoors and deliberately ruin my night vision - perhaps my eyes will deal with the glare better then, if I don't trip over the scope in the dark...

As with other planets, and many other astro objects for that matter, I've found that spending time observing is the key to teasing the subtle detail out. When I first viewed Jupiter with my 102mm refractor a few days back, at first I saw more or less what you did. After I'd been observing the planet for a hour or so and tried a few eyepieces, actually backing off the power to get the sharpest resolution rather than the largest image, I found the subtle details starting to show themselves including 2 thin belts just to the north of the NEB, the salmon pink Great Red Spot, uneveness in the edges of the NEB and hints of the much-faded SEB as well. Clouds then spoiled my fun but I feel there was more to come if I'd been able to continue observing.

Filters may help as well but time at the eyepiece really brings results as well :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Moon filters look quite cheap so i might buy one of those after all. I think I will try to make an aperture mask first. Spending time observing has been a problem too, as I have been racing against dew both times I have looked at Jupiter. Another DIY project will be a dew shield...

.... I have been racing against dew both times I have looked at Jupiter. Another DIY project will be a dew shield...

Re: dew shields, with a Mak or SCT I think the motto has to be "never leave home without one" :)

ScopeTeknix Dual 1.25" polarising filters for Lunar astronomy

I picked these up to try and they seem ok for the money. One on its own works nicely for me during daytime for terrestrial viewing, but haven't had a chance to use them in earnest at night yet (clouds, clouds, yet more clouds . . . . . :p ).

If one isn't enough I'll use the second as well and rotate for optimum reduction.

Archived