Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomer from Estonia.

Randoma

Hello everyone! I live in a small town in Estonia. I've always been interested in the stars, it has been only recently when I've started to stargaze properly.

My current achivements are finding the Andromeda Galaxy (of course with a lot of neck pain due to the spotting scope and it being high in the sky) and a few star clusters, I haven't had a chance to view the stars much, but I've gotten myself some free time.

A few days ago, I ordered the Skywatcher Dobson 150/1200 Skyliner, with a 25mm and a 10mm eyepieces, I'd order some smaller and bigger ones but I don't have the money for it right now. It's on its way here and I'm very anxious to use it. I also have an old russian 30x60-70mm spotting scope, and a pair of 10x50 binoculars.

I'm quite new to stargazing.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Randoma, and a warm welcome to you from SGL.

Lot of friendly people who will help you should you need it, just ask your questions.

What are your night skies like in your town in Estonia? Do you have much light pollution?

Enjoy your new telescope when it arrives, you made a good choice there.

Best Wishes.

Ron.:)

Thanks Barkis.

We have very nice skies here, and the light pollution isn't too bad.

When I want to do some observing I usually go to my grandmothers place, she lives about 3 km out of the city, much clearer skies there. There are some trees but I can see around/over them.

Hi Randoma, welcome to SGL.

I think you will be blown away by your new scope, when you get it.

I had a Celestron spotting scope, which I got for a good price, but as you have found, it was a struggle to use it. I gave it to one of my son's! I think I would stick to the binoculars until the new scope arrives. You should see M31 with them no problem, I live near a city and can pick it out with the Bino's.

If you haven't already got it, Stellarium is useful for finding objects you want to look at. Download it here for free.

Stellarium

Let us know how you get on with the new scope, and if you have any questions, please ask them.

Clear skies.

Thanks people.

I just found out (Thanks to GSL Tracking) that my Telescope is currently in Poland, I ordered it on friday so I guess it didn't ship on the weekends, it started off at germany. It's interesting to watch where an item travels.

hi Randoma welcome to the stargazers lounge

I to have links with Estonia I am the 6th great grandson of George Frederick Wihelm Struve he was the director of the old observatory in what use to be called Dorpat now Tartu part of the dorpat university my name Is Pete by the way and i live in england once again welcome to stargazers

:p:icon_salut:

Archived