Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello all, saw Jupiter last night through my sky watcher 127 using my Williams Binoviewer. I could make out all the belts clearly and at the time all four moons where to the right side of the planet. Wonderful and stunning!! The moon seemed to stand out in 3D, weird.

I am so jealous... hung out until nearly 2am last night but tiredness and clouds in the distance got the better of me. I am dying to see Jupiter through my Mak 127 as I bought it specifically for planetary viewing but so far all I have managed is the moon. Saturn has gone by the time it starts to get dark and Jupiter does not rise high enough until 'ridiculous o'clock' in the morning. I guess I am just going to have to wait another couple of months. I have seen Jupiter through my 12" dob and managed to get the odd fleeting glimps of the two main cloud belts, but no real detail from an F5.

Looking forward to winter despite the prospect of being out in the garden for hours at night freezing my "you know what's" off.

I hope to get some webcam images of planets this year.

... I have seen Jupiter through my 12" dob and managed to get the odd fleeting glimps of the two main cloud belts, but no real detail from an F5....

You need time to tease out the details on Jupiter - quick glimpses, even through large aperture scope, don't tend to show much more than the main belts (although the southern one has all but dissapeared at the moment.

Even though it works at F/5 I think your 12" scope, when properly cooled and collimated and with decent seeing conditions, will show a lot more than your 5" Mak can.

Our weather in the UK is not helping us get long sessions on the planet unfortunately !.

Don't know if anyone saw S@N Saturday, and as this is titled Jupiter, may as well add to it::D

Seems that on Aug 14th at about 2:30AM Io wil transit Jupiter and it will pass through the GRS during it's transit.:)

Now the disclaimer: Pretty sure that is what I heard them say but if anyone has i-player it could be worth double checking.:)

If the now decrepid memory cells are operating then if the skies are clear it could be something to stay up for and watch.:D

Don't know if anyone saw S@N Saturday, and as this is titled Jupiter, may as well add to it::)

Seems that on Aug 14th at about 2:30AM Io wil transit Jupiter and it will pass through the GRS during it's transit.:)

Now the disclaimer: Pretty sure that is what I heard them say but if anyone has i-player it could be worth double checking.:)

If the now decrepid memory cells are operating then if the skies are clear it could be something to stay up for and watch.:D

Looking on Stellarium its Europa that will transit between 02.00 and 05.00 but not across the GRS :D

Someone better tell the Dr Chris whatever that his diagram was wrong then. :D:D

He illistrated the piece with the moon splat in the middle of the GRS and mentioned it specifically. :)

Anyway, probably have some of the densest clouds this month, and I doubt I will be awake either. :)

Someone better tell the Dr Chris whatever that his diagram was wrong then. :D:D

He illistrated the piece with the moon splat in the middle of the GRS and mentioned it specifically. :)

Anyway, probably have some of the densest clouds this month, and I doubt I will be awake either. :D

I think it may be that the shadow of Europa will fall on the GRS

That could explain things....:)

Archived