740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Iris Nebula, NGC-7023 attempt

Shibby

Hi All,

I thought I'd have a crack at the Iris nebula, I know it's not a great image but to be honest I was quite surprised to capture it at all!

Conditions were tough last night, this was taken through a thin layer of cloud - I still struggle to get set up too, I didn't even start imaging until around 2.30, leaving me only about an hour!

18x120s, 12 darks, unguided, ISO800

I don't think I've processed it that well, took me a long time to extract any detail - because the red LP glow was overwhelming (I guess down to the cloud?).

NGC7023-stretch.jpg

Thanks for the comments :) I'm pleased with the 2min subs - my longest yet. Would be nice to get some more subs to add on a clearer night perhaps.

No I don't mind at all please see what you can do. The background looks much better on your edit Paul, you've encouraged me to maybe have another try from scratch to see if I can control the LP better...

Well...

I went back and took a lot more subs - another 42x2min and 20 darks, so now it's 60x2min, 32 darks. I'm a little disappointed really, I don't seem to have captured much more detail to speak of. I mean, the dark bits look a bit darker but that difference is probably down to processing.

output5-all.jpg

Perhaps the sky isn't dark enough from my garden, is the LP perhaps a limiting factor?

Edit: The star field does look better actually...

Edited by Shibby

Sorry to keep on posting image after image, but here's one I've processed with a wider crop and hand-picking the best subs. The wider crop shows lots more of that dark gassy stuff (particularly towards bottom of the image):

iris_wide.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Where do you live Shibby? That is very good for such short exposures

I failed completely trying to get this last night, although moon was a big problem, did flats as JPEGS must have had a brain seizure, really needed them as well.

Where do you live Shibby? That is very good for such short exposures

I failed completely trying to get this last night, although moon was a big problem, did flats as JPEGS must have had a brain seizure, really needed them as well.

I suppose you'd call it a suburb - still quite a lot of light pollution here. Are you sure you didn't capture anything? Took me quite a lot of processing to reveal most of the nebula. The core of the nebula was *just* visible as a hazy bar on the raw subs.

Glider, it really should show up with 5 min subs, the core is quite bright.