Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing seat

Abernus

This might be just me but I find when observing for any length of time I geta crick in my neck and my back starts to ache. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if there are such things as observing chairs?

Thanks

Quite a few people on here have made thier own observing chairs based on a design called the 'Denver Chair', including me! Have a peek at the DIY section of the forum for details.

You can buy them too, Astro Engineering do one: Astronomy Observing Aids - nice, but dare I say a little on the expensive side. I think some other people have managed to make use of much cheaper chairs (designed for ironing I think!) from Lidl and Aldi stores!

I'd have a Google for the Denver chairs though as there are quite a few designs about on the Internet!

Doc

I regard an observing chair (mine is Berlebach from Germany) to be indespensible for any enjoyable observing. Skywatcher recently launched an observing chair, may be of interest to you ? Till then I struggled to find UK suppliers of many astro chairs. Catperch is a top end version you can order from USA for owners of giant dobs.

I bought one of the Leifheit chairs, they are very adjustable for height, but to move it up and down, you have to withdraw a bolt, move it and replace the bolt.

Sounds a bit faffy, but Iv'e got a dodgy back, and it saves it no end. I find I spend more time looking at one object as well, as Iam more comfortable.

I don't want to suffer for a hobby that for me is relaxing.

Archived