Narrowband

Plato & Iridum

slammel

Hi all,

My first post here, thought it was about time!

As the lunar imaging 'off season' comes to an end I was able to grab some images of the rarer (for me) sunset view in the early hours of 3rd August.

The seeing varied from turmoil to just about good enough to be worthwhile. I love this lighting on Plato and I didn't realize the shadows were so

dramatic, in the AVI it appeared completely in shadow so this was a nice surprise! (next time I'll turn the wick up to check ;o) Unfortunately there

was a half hour gap and the Iridum section needed rotating affecting sharpness a little but hopefully it's not too obvious.

Plato & Sinus Iridum 03-Aug-10 03.00-03.30UT photo - stefan lammel photos at pbase.com x0.85 South up

Plato & Sinus Iridum (large) 03-Aug-10 03.00-03.30UT photo - stefan lammel photos at pbase.com x1.1 North up

Plato & Sinus Iridum 03-Aug-10 03.00-03.30UT photo - stefan lammel photos at pbase.com x0.85 North up

Somehow I still prefer the south up view for Iridum at the smaller size. Partly nostalgia perhaps for some early inverted lower power views at the

eyepiece with the 5" Newtonian, I would always seek out the beautiful arc of Iridum if it was on show.

10in f4.8 Newtonian, Infinity 2-1M, 5x Powermate, Baader red filter, 120/2700 frames, Avistack, Registax, PSE5, Focus Magic

Regards,

Stefan

Plato -

original.jpg

Plato & Sinus Iridum (south up) -

original.jpg

original

nice to see you at last Stefan on SGL :)

great set of lunar images, I am only curious, how did you get that close scale of plato with 2,5 powermate. My image of plato region with 2,5 powermate and C9.25 look much smaller:icon_scratch:

is it the same chip in Infinity as in Skynyx?

Welcome again :D

Thanks very much guys!

Resonator77 - I use a 5x Powermate which I modified to reduce the magnification down to 4.5x by removing the extension piece, without it I think the magnification for imaging works out to about 7x. Its currently epoxied (!) to my 2-1M, ugly and not at all ideal but it works. One day I might just get around to having a adapter made for it!

Yes the Infinity & Skynyx use the same ccd.

Regards,

Stefan

Very clever way of reducing magnification :)

what was your actual focal length at the time, 5130mm is this about right?

I imaged Clavius recently and my focal length was 7050mm yet it still seems somewhat smaller than your plato:icon_confused:

or am I hallucinating :D ?

what was your actual focal length at the time, 5130mm is this about right?
Yep, around 5284 mm.
I imaged Clavius recently and my focal length was 7050mm yet it still seems somewhat smaller than your plato
Don't know what camera you use but the magnification depends on the pixel size, the 2-1M is 4.65 μm. Alternatively perhaps the magnification power quoted for the 2.5x Powermate is not quite right, that's what I found for the 5x anyway. I was surprised to find the graph on the Televue website that shows the magnification relative to the distance between optic and ccd does not correlate with the actual magnification I get, it seems to be out by quite a bit.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi all,

My first post here, thought it was about time!

As the lunar imaging 'off season' comes to an end I was able to grab some images of the rarer (for me) sunset view in the early hours of 3rd August. The seeing varied from turmoil to just about good enough to be worthwhile. I love this lighting on Plato and I didn't realize the shadows were so dramatic, in the AVI it appeared completely in shadow so this was a nice surprise! (next time I'll turn the wick up to check ;o) Unfortunately there was a half hour gap and the Iridum section needed rotating affecting sharpness a little but hopefully it's not too obvious.

Plato & Sinus Iridum 03-Aug-10 03.00-03.30UT photo - stefan lammel photos at pbase.com x0.85 South up

Plato & Sinus Iridum (large) 03-Aug-10 03.00-03.30UT photo - stefan lammel photos at pbase.com x1.1 North up

Plato & Sinus Iridum 03-Aug-10 03.00-03.30UT photo - stefan lammel photos at pbase.com x0.85 North up

Somehow I still prefer the south up view for Iridum at the smaller size. Partly nostalgia perhaps for some early inverted lower power views at the eyepiece with the 5" Newtonian, I would always seek out the beautiful arc of Iridum if it was on show.

10in f4.8 Newtonian, Infinity 2-1M, 5x Powermate, Baader red filter, 120/2700 frames, Avistack, Registax, PSE5, Focus Magic

Regards,

Stefan

original

Totally amazing images!:)

Archived