Narrowband

Confusion with Spaceweather.com

New features rotate into view around the Sun's eastern limb, head across the disk and then rotate out of view around its western limb. If these regions have just rotated into view, they are coming into view around the eastern limb. If they've just popped up and are about to disappear from view, they're close to the western limb.

I'm about to process todays pics so I can tell you what's happening shortly...

Are you questioning the little graphic that shows the AR numbers and shows the spots on the left edge of the Sun? If so, the left edge of the Sun as you look at it in the sky (but don't look at it unfiltered :) ) is the eastern limb. The right edge as you look at it, is the western limb. It's not like a map where east is on the right and west is on the left. The only body that takes the traditional map orientation in the sky is the Moon where east is on the right and west is on the left. This was done to assist the astronauts.

New features rotate into view around the Sun's eastern limb, head across the disk and then rotate out of view around its western limb. If these regions have just rotated into view, they are coming into view around the eastern limb. If they've just popped up and are about to disappear from view, they're close to the western limb.

I'm about to process todays pics so I can tell you what's happening shortly...

Are you questioning the little graphic that shows the AR numbers and shows the spots on the left edge of the Sun? If so, the left edge of the Sun as you look at it in the sky (but don't look at it unfiltered :D ) is the eastern limb. The right edge as you look at it, is the western limb. It's not like a map where east is on the right and west is on the left. The only body that takes the traditional map orientation in the sky is the Moon where east is on the right and west is on the left. This was done to assist the astronauts.

Arrgghh ****! Then with my C8 SCT and my star diagonal, I basically have been seeing the sun in correct orientation all the time!

Bahh... so now I have to revisit all my images and correct the compass again LOL. :)

With a suitably filtered scope on an eq mount, the simple way to orientate yourself is to put pressure on the bottom of the front of the scope so it's trying to move the front upwards. When you see the image through the eyepiece move, the last edge of the Sun you'd see would be the northern limb. If you put pressure on the front of the tube so your trying to push it to the right (west) then the last limb you'd see if you let it go all the way would be the western one.

I just didn't know the East and West for the sun was inverted compared to our view.

As with a SCT via the diagonal, the view is basically vertically flipped. It means I have been seeing the sun in the correct way (West on the left and East on the right).

Just was never aware of this little twisted orientational fact. :)

But going back through my previous images, I already corrected them with processing. So thank god I don't have to redo them all hehe.

Archived