Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera lenses

Hi All,

Was wondering what lenses are good for wide angle photgraphy of the night sky. I have a Canon EF-S 18mm - 55mm and the main problems is I cannot use EF-S lenses with astronomik light pollution filters so looking for a good lens that is good value for money. Looking for something close to 18mm.

the EF50 II works well and is very cheap... but... it's not wide angle. You could look out for the Tamron and Sigma EF mount lenses. Equally, what about the M42 and other type mounts with an adatper... They should work well... I've got an OM mount adapter and use a 24mm from that on my 450d,

A few years back I had a Canon 24mm f/2.8 which I found good for astrophotography.

Here is a shot I took @ f/2.8 for 25secs on a 300D. The camera was not modified, and was on a standard tripod. This is a straight photograph with no manipulation. If you look closely to the top middle you can see the 'coathanger' in Vulpecula. :)

post-19688-133877466712_thumb.jpg

the EF50 II works well and is very cheap... but... it's not wide angle. You could look out for the Tamron and Sigma EF mount lenses. Equally, what about the M42 and other type mounts with an adatper... They should work well... I've got an OM mount adapter and use a 24mm from that on my 450d,

What's an M42 mount? Also is the 24mm the one that goes for like £700???

M42 mount users a screw thread, I can't remember now the exact specs, but you can also get Pentax K mount lenses and an adapter. Nope... it's an old OM mount 24mm lens... I had in the garage. It's not got the modern lens coatings so does suffer from reflections without a dew shield of some sort, but it does work wel and allows me to use my CLS Clip filter.

Sigma 15-30 EX.... great lens... worked on my old 5d so it should be fine with a clip filter.

Also Sigma's 20mm & 24mm f/1.8 work superbly , I used to use these on an astrotrac with a 40D and CLS filter.

Archived