Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where are we all?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am the only admin on that site (although the other SGL admin know the username and password - as far as I am aware they have never logged into it).

So your pin hasn't been removed - I can say that with 100% certainty. I used to go through every few months and remove duplicates and stupid ones (like santa on the north pole).

But I haven't even done that for 12 - 18 months.

The site is VERY slow, are you sure that you gave it enough time to download correctly. When I say slow I mean it's painful ;)

Ant

Here's a new link Stargazerslounge.com (2195 markers placed)

2195 markers.

Again when placing a pin please remember to put the pin in the rough area you live - not over your house.

You lots have millions of pounds worth of kit and the last thing you want is someone knowing where you live exactly.

Cheers

Ant

I keep getting Javascript errors every few seconds when I use it.

Sorry mate, there is nothing that I can do about it. The map etc is not something that we have any control over - it's hosted by another company.

Sorry that you've had problems :)

Ant

No worries. I think it might just be the way I have Firefox set up.

worked for me no probs .... yay the world can se me now :) ... as for anyone wanting to steal my gear, my dear BULLMASTIF guard dogs wud have something to say about that.....they can get to the fence in 5 seconds can you ? ruff ruff :)

• 3 weeks later...

Must be beginners luck but I got my pin to take on the first try. Hope to learn a lot from the regulars here. Had a telescope for several years and just upgraded to a Meade DS-2000 series. Any helpful hints appreciated as I am a total rookie. Thanks in advance for allowing me to participate.

Misty Valley Ranch Observatory added BUT what a pain!

Browser timed out three times while it was trying to display the map and/or zoom in...

At this rate it will be a while before you reach 8000!!!

bwa

Yeah it's not great is it... takes forever to load up the map, but it does usually get there eventually.

I'm pleased to say that this service isn't run by us as I would be embarrassed to admit it... But it was the best one that I could find when we looked for an online map.

Cheers

Ant

Yeah it's not great is it... takes forever to load up the map, but it does usually get there eventually.

I suspect it will only get slower as more "pins" are added!? Hate to think of the speed as you approach 8000+/-?

bwa

Excellent idea. Have a few neighbors I didn't know about it. Thank you!

There are nearly 8000 of us now, we thought that it would be a good idea to have a world map showing where we all are.

The following link will take you to a map that we have setup - to add yourself to the map, you can either enter your postcode (suggest first part only) / zip code or you can find your location on the map and then click on the map to add a marker.

The "enter the letters" spam checker is a little temperamental and doesn't tell you if you get it wrong - it just doesn't add your pin. Which is annoying.

As this map is public - again please be a little vague when entering your location - don't want people nicking your kit because they knew where you lived from this map.

Stargazerslounge.com (18 markers placed)

Enjoy!

Ant

Archived