Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sorry another eyepieces thread.

Hi,I have recently got my first ever telescope, a Skywatcher Explorer 150P. Admittedly I have only used it a couple of times, mainly due to the lighter nights ( & cloud). Now the longer nights (& my Birthday) are just around the corner I want to purchase some new eyepieces.

I am interested in the Meade Series 5000 Plossl Eyepiece Set. Now I know eyepiece sets don't always seem the most popular option, but if I was to plump for one or two better, more expensive eyepieces I wouldn't have a clue what would be the most useful to me. I am mainly interested in Planetary & locating the Messier objects, so I thought this set may give me a broad spectrum to play around with until I gain more knowledge. The 32mm eyepiece in the set is a 2" eyepiece which would mean me needing to purchasing a diagonal (can I even fit one on my scope?) If so what would you recommend. Just when I think I have made a decision I totally confuse myself again.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Jane

Firstly, the good news, you won't be needing a diagonal. Your scope is not designed to work with a diagonal and as such won't reach focus with one. All eyepieces go straight into the focuser with the 150P.

Possible bad news though, your version of the 150P may not accept 2" eyepieces if its the older blue tube 150P. The later Diamond Black tubes have a 2" focuser and will have no problems with the 32mm 5000 or any other 2" eyepiece. You can change the focuser on the older 150P but its more expense and some possible drilling of the tube required.

The 5000 Plossl set isn't cheap, Warehouse Express do it for £299. You maybe better off asking for ideas to compile a custom set. There are better eyepieces around than the 5000 Plossl and £300 will put together a nice set for your scope.

For instance, the TMB Planetary would make a better high power eyepiece than the 9mm or 5.5mm 5000. And they won't eat into your budget either. Leaving plenty for a workhorse eyepiece in the 13-14mm range, such as the Hyperion 13mm.

And because your scope is a fast 6", you won't really need a 2" eyepiece anyway. Something like a 24mm Superwide with a 68deg apparent field of view will give you a true field of view of 2.2deg......or in other words.....very wide indeed!

To give you an initial idea of what i had in mind, here's a possible list:

TMB Planetary 4mm (£36) - will give 188x, a nice planetary magnification and well within the limits of your scope and also the sky most nights.

TMB Planetary 8mm (£36) - 94x, great for looking at the moon, globular clusters and planetary nebula.

Hyperion 13mm (£91) - 58x and 1.17deg true field. A great workhorse eyepiece for finding and viewing many objects.

Hyperion 24mm (£91) - 31x and 2.2deg true field. Take in great swathes of the sky, superb for finding and viewing large extended objects.

Total cost - £254

Edit - just seen your other thread and see you have bought a brand new 150P. So that answers that question, you have black 150P with a 2" focuser :mad:

Although perhaps still no reason to rush out and buy a 2" eyepiece. But if you did, then you could still squeeze an Adler 32mm Superwide into your budget. Would give an incredible 3.0deg true field and massive vistas of the milkyway. Or take in M31 in [almost] all its glory. M31 covers 4deg of the sky but the 150P with the 32mm 2" 70deg would certainly do it justice from a dark site.

Archived