Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

looking for a compact portable scope for holiday?

Daniel-K

Hi,

I recently visited Europe and the UK and I took a Skywatcher Heritage 76mm table top dob. I know these have been given some bad press but I found it is a great grab and go scope. They can have some collimation problems but after playing around with mine (you can only adjust the secondary mirror, the primary is fixed) I got it to an acceptable level. These little scopes are great for viewing clusters as they have a wide field of view and with decent eyepieces and a barlow lens, this could be what you are looking for. I like to use a Meade 20mm wide field eyepiece with a 2x barlow for most of my observing then changing to a 10mm Celestron Ultima and 2x barlow for closer views.These scopes are so light they can happily travel in your carryon luggage and mine didn't need any adjustments whilst over there. In Australia they cost less than $100 so they are good value too. I managed to observe M103 as well as some doubles and other clusters and at home under dark skies I can get many clusters and even a hint of some of the brighter galaxies- not bad with a 3" scope.

Hope this is of some help.

Julie

Aussie Observer

What about the ST80 ? It performs well on similar targets as the mini dob, and you can mount it on a camera tripod (with a dovetail bar also), and collimation isn't an issue. My Konus version fits in my maplin flight bag along with my ep's, diagonal etc.

hey aussie i has one of those as my first scope early this year but i sold it i found it was very good i enjoyed my first veiw of the orion neb with it. i think i will get the st80 sounds perfect for were am off too thanks for the help guys!

Hi Melibum,

I'm travelling (even hiking to dark sky hill tops) with a WO Megrez 72 right now...very portable (fits in a Lowe rucksack thingy) and works great on a Slik camera tripod. More than just a travel scope would make a great at-home widefield imaging scope too. I am getting some knockout views of doubles and brighter globulars with it, just waiting for the skies to clear and take a look at Jupiter with my new TMB planetary...2 weeks and counting now for a clear night in sun-kissed Cumbria :-(

Archived