SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing Omega Centauri

At my Urban Observers Group last night, the seeing wasn't great. It had been clear all day but of course on sunset the clouds moved in as a change moved through. Fortunately the area around Crux/Centaurus was relatively clear for most of the evening which allowed me to observe Omega Centauri and show other people who turned up for the session. Using a Celestron Nexstar 11 and 17mm type 4 Nagler allowed stunning views of the cluster, filling the whole FOV with stars. The "Owl Eyes" feature was very prominent as well as stars down to the core. After seeing this M22 appeared as a faint fuzzy in comparison. Hope this wets your appetite for more Southern Hemisphere wonders!

I saw omega centauri for the first time just a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have a scope with me but it was clearly visable to the naked eye and looked awesome using 10x50s.

Col

amazing! what's the furthest north this can be seen? is there any chance in Majorca?

I think theoretically yes, it's at 48 degress south so it should rise above the horizon for anyone below 42 north. Had a quick play with Stellarium and this does seem to confirm that it is above the horizon, though lost in daylight at this time of year.

Cheers

Col

Thanks for your report, AO. :mad:

At my latitude, it hovers just below the horizon but i'm hoping to go down to Florida one of these years at the end of May when it's most favorable. Even at a mere 16 degrees above the horizon, i bet it'll still look awesome.

Yes, Omega Centauri is certainly stunning, and is visible naked eye in my backyard!! :mad: Always a buzz when looking through a scope at it, and now 47 Tuc is arising - also a stunner!!

We are certainly blessed here in the southern hemisphere. I use omega centauri to check visual magnitude from my suburban viewing location. That gives you an idea how bad it can be. From a dark sky site it is truly amazing even through my little 6" refractor.

The more that I read this thread makes me want to visit the southern skies although I might have problems understanding the upside down constellations. Having SGL members across the world makes this website so worthwhile.

I was thinking of going to Queensland in November 2012 for the total eclipse so like Carol it would be interesting to know whether there are any organisations organising astro tours in the Queensland area.

Mark

Am sure there are lots of tours Mark, prob just google it, as dont know off hand. I live 4 hrs from Cairns, so our Astronomy Group are driving up with our scopes!!

Good opportunity to come down under, though mid November will be dodgy weather as into the wet season. :mad:

Archived