SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M27 mono last night

Kaptain Klevtsov

After clouds and fog all day and dire forecasts the sky actually grew a hole last night. Swarms of those white dot things all over the place.

image.jpg

Skywatcher 200mm f/5 Newt. on EQ6 skyscan.

SC3 modified webcam at prime focus.

CLS filter.

77 60 second subs stacked in Registax then prettyfied in Photoshop with Noel's Actions.

Captain Chaos

That is excellent CC. Shows the benefit of a decent amount of exposure time. Technically all spot on as well. Bet you're itching to get some RGBs. Great mono but has the makings of a spectacular colour image.

Thanks chaps. Now I have a couple of proper questions for you guys to ponder over. I have been doing some reprocessing this afternoon after work such as taking out frames with trailing manually in Registax and using different dark frames and stuff. After a fiddle I got this image:-

image.jpg

1) Why no spikes from the spider?

2) Is the frogspawn effect real, or an artifact from sharpening too vigourously?

TIA

Captain Chaos

It's an artefact CC. Looks like the sort of thing you can get with repeated use of Noel's "make stars smaller" action. There are some halos as well esp around stars within the nebula which are a result of over sharpening

Thanks chaps. I was sure(ish) myself that it was artificial, though I don't know what caused it. One of these days I might do a dozen blur / sharpen cycles on something and see what comes out, could be a whole new science for the new-age types.

Captain Chaos

New-age enlightened astrology photographer.

(NOT)

Had a bash with deep sky stacker and got this:-

image.jpg

For some reason it comes out small, but clicking it opens up a bigger version.

What I found with DSS is that the processed image needs to be very light before saving the TIFF otherwise the saved image is dark. Also DSS doesn't have a facility to increase the size of the image like Registax does. DSS gets more detail out of the faint bits than does registax at my skill level so you guys might like to try it as its free.

I noticed that the alignment process needed to rotate several of the frames slightly, which I found odd as I'm using an equatorial mount.

All good fun eh?

Captain Chaos

That looks pretty good CC, difficult to judge cos of the difference in image scale but it may be an improvement on your 1st image. Rotation occurs over the course of a session if the mount isn't precisely polar aligned.

Archived