Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory underway

zedds

Its looking really good, very professional. You have to be pleased with the results so far....

Thanks Steve.

Yes i am very pleased the way it has come on. It is slow going as i can`t get on it as much as i`d like. But i`ll get there.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s nice to see your roof is working well, what else have you got to do before you are finished?

Quite a bit i think Paul.

It still has to be sealed from the elements around the castors and track. Lengths of tongue and groove will do the trick. Then it`s a case of electricity to the obs and fitting out, which i`m looking forward to. Doesn`t sound too bad but i`m not able to get on it as much as i`d like with kids and work.

• 2 months later...

Update on progress.

Well the obs is mostly complete now. Just a few finishing touches like matting for the floor and maybe a coat of paint for inside of the walls. Not sure if paint will stick to tanalised wood though.

Power is temporary at the moment via a 50 mtr heavy duty extension lead. (House is to be rewired this year so i will get the sparky to do the electrics at the same time.

A few pics.

Last 3 were taken a few weeks ago when the weather was a little colder!!!!!

post-17420-13387752113_thumb.jpg

post-17420-13387752116_thumb.jpg

post-17420-133877521182_thumb.jpg

post-17420-13387752119_thumb.jpg

post-17420-133877521211_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all.

Final update.

Flooring is all done now. I have decided to leave the walls as they are. So all done now except for permanent electrics and that will wait till the house has been rewired.

It`s been hard work and slow going. But it has been well worth it.

Last couple of pics showing the obs with new matting.

Only thing missing is a few breaks in these non stop clouds.!!!!!

Clear skies all.

post-17420-1338775371_thumb.jpg

post-17420-133877537108_thumb.jpg

Andy

You have don an excellent job on your observatory, you must feel quite proud. Can I ask about the flooring tiles and where you got them. They look just the job for my observatory.

Adrian

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Adrian, I bought the matting from Amazon. HERE is the link. I needed 2 packs for the floor, which is 10ft X 7ft. I had to use 1 matt from another type that i already had to finish it off.

• 1 month later...

4th picture shows the pier concreted in. The pier looks off centre but as i said earlier it is central to the 2x2x2ft block. Also in place are the threaded rods for the pier top.(Thanks Gary)

5th picture shows all the rest of the pad filled in with concrete ready for the floor

I notice you didn't do much more ground prep than removing the turf? I noticed this (and queried it) with someone else's build too. Do you think the base will remain stable? I would worry about it cracking over time.

If the consensus is that its fine, I'll be really happy - saves me a lot of work this summer!

Archived