Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

In the context of double stars what does STF stand for? For example the double star in Andromeda STF 108? It crops up several times... AQL STF 2449, CYG O STF 437....What is STF and where can i find out more about it?

:mad:

Ok, so i found out by myself....

Struve The Father. A star with the catalog designation STF### is a double star, with the number relating to a set of lists of double stars published by F.G. Wilhelm Struve in the early 1800s. Because these were discovered visually with the less optically-sophisticated scopes of that time, the angular separations of these doubles are large enough to be readily resolved in

amateur scopes. Thus, F. G. W. Struve’s double stars are among the first double stars :mad:

Any pointers to a list of these?

Just thinking they could be a good set for kids to locate since as you say eyes, binoculars or a small simple scope should do the job.

Still seems a strange designation Struve The Father?

Still seems a strange designation Struve The Father?

Blame the Internet (and computers with English/American keyboards), in days of old the designation for Struve's double star catalogue objects was the Greek capital sigma Σ

The STF list and NGC list won't match.

NGC generally for extended objects.

If you google the Washington double star list, this will take you a list of the 100,000+ doubles including all the Tycho & Hipp stars.

There are also notes showing how different labels match.

Cheers

Ian

Archived