SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Craters Armstrong, Collins & Aldrin.

Doc

Just wondering if any of you have viewed the following on the moon.

Armstrong, Collins and Aldrin Craters.

Armstrong is easy, as was Collins once I managed to see it with averted vision, but Aldrin I think I might have failed.

Anyone seen it and in what scope.

Yes, i've seen them with the 8"SCT. Under average seeing, Armstrong was always pretty easy and Aldrin was do-able in moments of better seeing. But Collins was a problem child and hid from view till one night when the seeing was better than average. I verified it four times and then whooped so loud all the local dogs started howling. :mad:

I feel sorry for MC. He didn't get to tread on the moon, although his job was evey bit as Important, then the crater that bears his name is a bit obscure. I wonder how he feels about it.:mad:

Ron.

For one hour last night I struggled with Aldrin and you two both say that this crater is easier then Collins. IMO Collins was easy once spotted but Aldrin was very hard and thats with 16" of aperture, so Carol hats of to you to spot this with 8".

Hi Ali, i was using 222x which was my normal lunar magnification with the SCT. It's a 9mm orthoscopic eyepiece with very nice contrast.

Mick, maybe libration played a part? These craters are nearly on the lunar equator and really get tossed to and fro, changing the angle of the sunlight on them. I actually had a more difficult time verifying Aldrin's location than i did seeing it. There's a little wrinkle ridge nearby that helped guide me, though.

Ron, i saw an interview where Mike was asked about staying in orbit while Neil and Buzz got to walk on the surface and he honestly wasn't bothered by it, you could tell by the tone of his voice and his relaxed body language. Overall, he seemed to be the most laid-back of the three, so i'd guess that having an obscure crater named after him wouldn't bother him a bit either (heck, i'd be happy to have a footprint named after me :mad: ).

Hi Ali, i was using 222x which was my normal lunar magnification with the SCT. It's a 9mm orthoscopic eyepiece with very nice contrast.

Mick, maybe libration played a part? These craters are nearly on the lunar equator and really get tossed to and fro, changing the angle of the sunlight on them. I actually had a more difficult time verifying Aldrin's location than i did seeing it. There's a little wrinkle ridge nearby that helped guide me, though.

Ron, i saw an interview where Mike was asked about staying in orbit while Neil and Buzz got to walk on the surface and he honestly wasn't bothered by it, you could tell by the tone of his voice and his relaxed body language. Overall, he seemed to be the most laid-back of the three, so i'd guess that having an obscure crater named after him wouldn't bother him a bit either (heck, i'd be happy to have a footprint named after me :D ).

HehHeh!, Of course you are right in what you say Carol.

I was merely substituting my own thoughts on top of those of Michael Collins. Besides, he had the best views of that "Magnificent Desolation":mad:

Ron.

Here's a webcam image of the three craters I took some years ago.

X Marks the Apollo 11 landing site.

S5 is the Surveyor 5 landing site, although it was too far away for them to get to it.

The two larger craters Sabine and Ritter lead the way, so start with them first.

Dave

post-14922-133877465968_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I observed them last night with my new 4" f/9 ED Skywatcher Evostar refractor through a thin haze and not so good local seeing (the Moon was above the house of our neighbours):

- At 100x (9 mm Burgess/TMB planetary) Armstrong was easy, but the others were not visible

- at 150x (6 mm Burgess/TMB planetary) Collins is visible at moments of good seeing

- at 180x (5 mm Plossl): Collins continuous visible, Aldrin glimpsed at moments of good seeing

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Riding home from the pub at 10pm after a MTB night ride I decide that with the waning Moon out on a really lovely night I would get the scope out and have another look for this three craters. Even with the terminator now going through the Sea of Tranquility, and some really great lunar features standing out, I still could not see them. At times I think I saw one of them, but wonder whether that is a mirage. They are not easy to spot and I am beginning to wonder whether my scope or (more likely) my eyes are up to finding them. The search continues...

Archived