Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Joined Beds Astro Society last night

daz

Well, as promised and spurred on by Rob and Russ' intentions, I took mini-me along to sign up last night.

There was a bit of business in the form of an E.G.M., as they are making changes to the constitution in order to apply for some lottery funding. They want to get a solar scope or two, and needed to vote on the changes.

That done, we had a talk on the society's scopes that are available for borowing to paid up members. There is an 80mm Alt-Az Vixen Refractor, a 6" dob and another Vixen Refractor, which I think was a 5", on a driven mount. Having never looked through a refractor, I may well borrow this at some point to have a little play!!

There was then a slide show of one of the committe members summer trip to Devon, where he showed some excellent photo's of the Summer Triangle, North American Nebula, Ring Nebula, and if I remember, the Lagoon as well. He also showed Kemble's Cascade, and finally a frame with a discernable Neptune it! All these were taken with an old Olypmus SLR and Kodak 200 slide film. There's hope for me yet then :)

The observatory, which is actually part of one Bedfords public schools - The Piazzi Smyth Observatory - houses a 16" LX200 and they also have a Star Projector and planetarium dome. A 13" dobsonian completes the main equipment list, but they also have numerous books, slides, CD's etc available for members to borrow as well.

As is typical, it was chucking down with rain so there was no observing, but they also make excursions to a local dark site from October onwards - so we shall be going along to those.

So there we go. Fully paid up members - and for £15 for the yeat, it's a bargain!

daz

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds like a great deal Daz, I'll have to check out my local Astronomy club, I'm sure theres one based in Glasgow and I think they have access to Glasgow Universitys observatory.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained , as they say, and at the very least I might find someone to help collimate my scope!

Cheers, bob.

That sounds like a great deal Daz, I'll have to check out my local Astronomy club, I'm sure theres one based in Glasgow and I think they have access to Glasgow Universitys observatory.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained , as they say, and at the very least I might find someone to help collimate my scope!

Cheers, bob.

Where abouts in Glasgow are you from Bob?

Just looked up your profile so ignore that last question.

I am am member of the Renfrewshire astronomical society based at the Paisley observatory.

You would be more than welcome to pay us a visit we meet every Friday night 7.30 to 9.30pm.

Don't bother cos it doesn't exist any more.

Long story but the guy who built and maintained it could not be bothered with the internal politics of an

astro society so when he stopped maintaining the site it got discarded.

Hence the reason for me starting my own web site to which i hope that some of the guys from the Renfrewshire

astro society will submit images to view.

We will see.

The Beds Astro site is a little, erm, basic.........

Might offer my services in due course.

The magazines all spout the benefits of joining, and for the money, it's got to be worth a go. £10 for the Glasgow society, Bob, cracker!!!

Let us know if you join, and how you get on...

daz

Jamie as you now know, Im actually in Dumbarton, although I was born in Paisley!

I will make a point of coming along to the next meeting, (not tonights as I am babysitting while my missus is working, at the RAH in Paisley, funnily enough).

Where exactly is the observatory?  Who knows, maybe one of the members could help me out with collimation.....now that would be a dream come true! The Glasgow society dont seem to meet too often and I know there is a very active society out Falkirk way, but thats too far away from me to be Viable, so it looks like the Renfrewshire one might be ideal.

Thanks very much guys for taking the time to keep me posted on this, I didnt think there could be a freindlier site than CN

but it looks like I was wrong, keep up the good work.

By the way Jamie, I had a look at your website and the view of the Andromeda galaxy taken from Glen Douglas was outstanding, I really must get out to a really dark site soon, no excuse really as there are so many within 20 minutes drive from me.

Cheers, Bob.

The observatory is up behind the museum -Oakshaw St West.

Going past the museum on your right hand side take the first right up the hill go to where the road is blocked

the observatory will be on yer right hand side.(Big dome canny miss it)

Also i am sure there are a couple of guys there that will be only too glad to help sort your scope.

Yes its ok but please come with a view of joining cos they are a good bunch of guys.

Also if you are coming just to get your scope collimated the guys won't be too helpfull right away cos they want

people who visit to become to be members once you are a member the sky's the limit if you excuse the pun.

You will recognise me straight away cos i am the cheeky sod every one is having a dig at.

I would certainly be coming along with a view to joining, and I wouldnt be so cheeky to just turn up and say " hows it goin?.. fancy collimating my scope?".

Seriously, I am looking forward to meeting some like minded people and hopefully learning from them.

How many members are there?   Do you have any field trips?    I know I will find out the answers to these questions next Friday....but thats  seven days away!

Cheers, Bpb.

Well Bob we have about 70 or so members normally about a dozen turn up on a Friday.

We try to have field trips as and when weather commitments permit.

I not only expect you to learn things from the guys that you meet but i expect the guys you meet

to learn a bit from you too.

We have a couple of film imagers/ccd imagers/camera experts/telescope builders

both male and female active members.

Quite a varied range of knowlegable folk then there's me :)

I look forward to meeting you.

Archived