SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

jupiter this morning

I woke this morning about 3am,thought id take a peek out back to see if it was clear,well it was stunningly clear and jupiter was pretty high in the sky virtually south,looked lovely with moon out too.

I only wish i wasnt in work this morning or i would of got scope out.

I am really looking forward to seeing it in all its glory,off tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Anyone manage to see it?

Was the visibility good?

Thanks Gary :mad:

hi Gaz

I had a look last night at about 1am but it was right over houses/rooftops and also a little obscured by trees. Despite this (using my 3-6mm Nagler zoom and also a cheapo 12.5mm Ortho) I got the best views and largest disc I have ever seen of Jupiter. It will be something else when higher in the open sky. I also saw Uranus but this was a less inspiring tiny blue disc. Still, a first for me and it's amazing we can see this sort of thing in our own back gardens.

I woke at 2.30 this morning to see a blazing Jupiter through the window. But decided to wait until 4am as the forecast said clear until 9am. But once again they loused up the forecast. :mad:

They've given clear for tonight, can't resist setting the alarm again but this time if i wake early i'll get out there.

Was going to start a thread on the same topic until I spoted this one . Didnt manage to get the scope out as i was also up early. But WOW, alot bigger than I remember seeing it as a child!

I only have about a half hour window to view it between two trees so will have my scope set up nice and early ready for the 1am time slot.

Fingers crossed for some clear skies.

Hi Gaz,

I get up at 4am because it means i'm only up an hour earlier than normal. But by mid august i'll have to either stay up late or get up and go back to bed, as it's best around 2-3am.

I saw it rise last night. Very odd as others have said with only one belt. It was quite (wibbly wobbly) technical term despite a cool scope so not a lot of detail. Tried loads of filters but this did not bring out much more detail..

Will try again when it is higher in the sky..

Mark

I had an amazing view of Jupiter Friday morning, around 2.30am, using a 150P, 10mm EP + TV 2x Barlow. It was simply stunning, clear cloud patterns, 4 moons and a very distinct moon shadow (this wasn't shown on Stellarium - but now I know it was Europa - thanks Talitha!) I hadn't even seen a cloud band on Jupiter before, so this was a real treat!

I went out a few nights ago and was suprised at how light it was! The moon was so bight i coud barley see any stars- I saw jupiter next to the moon and was deffinatly an amazing sight as always. It wasvery bright and the bands were very clear too :D a few moons here and there were visible. 5/5 :mad:

Finally the clouds lifted for 2 days allowing me to see Jupiter at long last. Pretty good view. I could clearly see the moons and at times could make out the NEB. I thimk I will buy a Barlow and see if that makes any difference.

Archived