Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters: Astronomik v Baader

Last night I managed to get first light with the Astronomik CCD CLS clip filter. The last time I used the scope 3 weeks ago I was using the Baader Neodymium 2" filter. This test isnt conclusive as both subs were taken under different conditions. However, the clarity of the sky was basically the same for both.

Fitting: The CLS was easy, taking it out is a little fiddly but not frustraitingly so.

Under the stars: Everything seemed tighter when focusing in live view, stars looked better, and despite a full(ish) moon it still produced more contrast than the Baader filter (when there was no moon).

Processing (DSS): Still feeling my way round this one as there seemed to be a lot of red for no reason (camera noise?). I know the colour of M31... and its isnt orange! Playing with the red channel though produced something more pleasing to the eye.

Below is a visual comparison of both filters. Definitely worth it for the extra dosh.

post-18171-133877465198_thumb.jpg

I just do visual observing but I've been very impressed by the quality of the Astronomik 2" OIII (visual) filter. I've owned equivilent filters by Baader and Orion (USA) but the Astronomik, as well as being a very effective filter, produces tighter star images.

For the type of LP I get my fav filter is the Hutech IDAS which is always on my primary imaging camera ... followed by the CLS-CCD is used for widefield or on the secondary camera...

It could be a mad Autum/Winter this year with the increase in DSLR's and mounts...

I'm still trying to decide if i want to mod the 500D or I might just try and find another 1000D and keep the 500D Vanilla as I might have a use for the HD Video recording in Novemeber... or I might mod it and just by a cheap Solid State HD recorder instead...

Peter...

You should put all your cameras in a (big) box and hope they breed...lol.. :mad:

I thought you already had (at least) one 1000d?

Would be interesting to see a Hutech/Astronomik head to head.

Thats the problem I only have one :D If I can pick up another one at the right price I would in an instant as it would be ewasier to combine the data from a paitr of 1000D's than the 1000D and 500D although registar will do it easily...

The Hutech and the Astronomik are only two of my LP filter...

I also have... A Lumicon Deep Sky... and Meade 911N both in SCT format...

Peter...

Archived