Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it possible?

I was daydreaming at work the other day and I got to thinking is it possible to see any evidence of the Apollo moon landings? Perhaps not with a scope here on earth but is there a moon orbiting telescope? Or has it been done? Just a thought. I'll get back to daydreaming now.

Scotty

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About a year ago maybe longer i came across a french imaging site were by someone with a 26" Dob posted images of some tracks left over from the Moon Buggy's i remember thinking surely they can't still be there but from what i could gather the pics were genuine? Personally i don't think this could be done as the Resolution of the Telescope and Telescopes in general and that of cameras(Toucam was used) is good enough plus the Atomspheric disturbances be it 10/10 seeing would allow this..

It was a very good fake IMHO.. :rolleyes:

But aren't the Jap's working on a moon survey that will have the resolution needed?

Mmm ive heard they are going to have a Probe orbiting the Moon Ant maybe this is what you mean? Scopes wise i don't think you can build one big enough with current technogly even relaying information over differant scopes/Array..

Be great to shut up the skeptics though :rolleyes:

James: The French site is a fake, as mentioned.

Ant et al are correct-no telescope near Earth has the resolution to image items left by Apollo. However, if you know where and when to point your laser, and can detect the returning light, you can bounce it off one of the 3 laser reflectors left there. (Google Apollo Laser Reflectors, maybe.)

Aside from the rumor of a Japanese spacecraft with the resolution necessary to image the landing sites, why not simply consider the several hundred kilos of MOON ROCKS returned as evidence? Rocks from the Moon simply could not have been produced here on Earth, for any of a hundred reasons. The dust that stuck to the suits they wore became a real problem, since it had static cling characteristics not present in Earthbound dust, not to mention the hundreds of thousands, nay, billion Earthbound eyewitnesses to the actual events.

I better quit now before my blood boils...

I believe mate honestly I do. I'll happily have this argument with anyone who doesn't believe.

But in this case, scotty was just enquiring if you could "see" the landing sites.

This thread hasn't degenerated into a I believe/ I don't believe type thread! and t better not either.

Ant

I understand, Ant. This question is extremely loaded, IMHO. It generally comes from someone that isn't "sure" we landed on the Moon, as a precursor. Having been personally involved in several dozen discussions along these lines, I tend to get a bit more forceful than I intend at the beginning.

I apologize if I've offended anyone.

Astroman, you haven't offended anyone. I get quite annoyed (maybe not as much as you :rolleyes: ) when people don't beleive. But each to their own etc...

Daz, yes I beleive that is correct - astroman will know for sure. I'm under the impression that as the moon's orbit slows it's loosing energy and is slowly moving away from Earth. Thats opposite to the logical result of a loss in energy (for the layman), but makes perfect sense in physics. It takes more energy to remain in a lower orbit!

Ant

Astroman - Am I correct in thinking they (being scientists somewhere) use the lasers to measure the rate at which the moon is escaping?

Yep, I've just finished a book where it says the Moons orbit is increasing by about 4 cms a year.

Daz: Gaz is correct, and James is close. :D Scientists measure the arrival time of the lasers to measure the distance to the Moon. It's receading at about 4cm/yr, as Gaz says. Ant's explanation is right on the money. As for MartinB...Not sure quite what to say to that besides :tongue1: :rolleyes:

I understand, Ant. This question is extremely loaded, IMHO. It generally comes from someone that isn't "sure" we landed on the Moon, as a precursor. Having been personally involved in several dozen discussions along these lines, I tend to get a bit more forceful than I intend at the beginning.

I apologize if I've offended anyone.

I never intended to "load" the question. I believe entirely that the Apollo landings took place and I too find non-believers a tad annoying - because Ive taken astronomy as a hobby, some people at work seem to think its my job to disprove the conspirecy :rolleyes:. I would simply be fasinated to view this for my self, I mean, would anyone here not be?. :D

Scotty

We were given an Apollo landings talk at my local club. Trouble is a load of fruitcakes turned up to debunk the talk and it nearly ended up in a punch up. It's certainly a subject where people have stong feelings either way.

It would be nice to see the landing sites and the bits left behind. But only from a historical point of view, like visiting an ancient monument. Certainly not to prove one way or the other. We know it happened.

What i can't understand, why do we need a probe in orbit around the moon to see the fake moon landingset here on Earth :rolleyes::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ..................... only joking off course!

Russ

I would love to see them first hand too. I show the locations of Apollo 11 and 15 a lot in the scope, but it isn't the same somehow.

My question is, why would someone believe a Japanese probe's photos when they won't believe NASA's? Answer: They wouldn't. They'd just cahlk it up to another "fake". Vicous, circular reasoning.

Lastly, my apology was aimed at you, Scotty.

No offence was taken - it seem a hot topic these days. I felt quite appalled when someone said to me "oh, your a believer then" its so sad that a amazing, huge and costly exercise that was ultimately successful can be tarnished with rediculous scepticism, so many people have bit in to idea that it was fake - even quite sensible friends of mine. I did try to answer some of there questions but it seemed to go on to a personal level and I stopped engadging in such futile endeavours.

Scotty

Archived