Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bring on the Perseids.

LukeSkywatcher

After much a do about nothing i have finally decided where i will be to observe the Perseid meteor shower this year. I have booked a week on the Canary Island of Fuerteventura (sp?) from 7th Aug-14th Aug.

I am staying in the resort of Caleta De Fusta. The apartments/hotel complex sits atop a high cliff overlooking the sea........facing eastwards. It has secluded gardens away from the main complex so LP should not be a problem.

I have high hopes of great views of the meteor shower.

Now to get myself a travel tripod to take with me cuz the Horizon 8115 is just too big of a beast to pack in a suitcase. I have 4 memory cards for my camera with a combined total of about 20 Gigs of memory and i have 2 batteries so i should be ok.

Thanks Trillian. I need the holiday more then the meteor shower but its GREAT that i can kill 2 birds with one stone. I HOPE i come back with at least ONE single image of a Perseid. If not i am sure i will enjoy the light show anyway. I'm gonna be reading lots over the next few days about best settings etc to image meteors. I'll even take my Nikon P&S camera which has video capture just to increase my level of success.

What day is peak? hopefully ill get to the brothers-in-law and leave the camera on for a few hours

The peak of the shower is on the night of the 12th August into the morning of 13th. So a good time to observe is about 10pm on the 12th until 3-4am on the 13th.

PLEASE correct me if i am wrong but i think i am right.

Hey Paul, caleta da fusta is where i stayed recently... the actual resort is really really light polluted, if you can drive 30 mins inland you'll be overwhelmed by the milky way, otherwise you'll be underwhelmed by the milky light polluted sky, great place by the way you'll have a blast, heres my report from caleta...

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/103657-just-back-hols.html

Whoops !!!!

There has been a slight change of plan. I had no idea that my dog needed to be vaccinated against "kennel cough", at LEAST 14 days before she is put into kennels. She is being vaccinated this saturday so i have had to cancel out the holiday to Fuertaventura. I am now going to Matagorda in Lanzarote on the 14th Aug for a week.

So lucky old me will be at home in Ireland for the Perseids. Most likely i will be watching them through a thick layer of clouds which will have rain coming from them.

Oh well.................there is always next years Perseids.

Archived