Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eqmod & mount limits & plate solving

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All good stuff....

I'm waiting for George to spill the beans as to how he's doing it ....

Peter...

:mad: Im using Maxim which BTW will plate solve RAW files, This makes going back to past targets very easy and you are able to get exact framing......very handy for instance adding more data to last years target.

I do have Elbrus but have not used it yet.

There's also EQalign which will plate solve DSLR RAWS Improving scope pointing

So is this all that I need then? along with EQMod, and my image capture application?

How do I 'bookmark' a location in EQMod? As I assume I need to bookmark, mount flip, take image, then compare image with bookmark?

So.... (I am at work so cannot try things) is all I need the Eberus app? Other than EQMod?

For Elbrus you need the exe file and dll which can be downloaded from the elbrus yahoo group.

StarLocatorElbrus : Star Locator Elbrus

For evaluation there is then a "startup kit" that contains a minimal database and sample image.

If you want to use it in anger you will need to download the full database files (which are rather hefty in size) from Observatorio Atlante MPC - J51

There is a help file and step by step tutorials in the Elbrus Yahoo group files section.

If you want to use my "solve, sync, correct goto" client application then you'll find in the files section of both the Elbrus and EQMOD groups.

Chris.

How do I 'bookmark' a location in EQMod? As I assume I need to bookmark, mount flip, take image, then compare image with bookmark?

To bookmark your current location in EQASCOM just right click on the RA/DEC coordinates display on the main UI. This brings up the "manual Goto" window which has store and recall buttons.

As you say, you would

1. bookmark current position

2. execute flip

3. take image

4. plate solve

5. Issue ASCOM sync (elbrus can do this automatically)

6. goto your bookmarked position

7. repeat 3-6 if needed :-)

My client app just automates steps 4-6 with a single button.

Chris.

So.... How do I manually issue a pier flip command?

If a flip is required then EQASCOM will do one if told to goto the current coordinates. So....

1. Right click the RA coord on the main EQASCOM UI to open up the manual goto window.

2. The current coords are automatically set as the manual goto target so all you have to do is hit the goto button.

Chris.

I get the following errors when trying to run Elberus:

Warning: The distances database is not complete

any ideas?

Did you download all the database files (ani000.bin to ani179.bin and est.bin) or are you just using the M74 demo set (In which case the warming would seem reasonable)?

Chris

OK, I am downloading the full catalog in the hope that this solves the errors above. Has anybody used Elbrus yet? The only thing that is slightly worrying me is that it appears that in order to get it to plate solve you need to input the image scale and rotation - I dont know this and even if I work it our do I need to do this for all the combinations of telescope and reducers and cameras that I own?

Other that the above it does appear to offer what I/we need - plate solving and resync of EQMod. It seems that I would get my target centered/framed then image away. Looks like the steps below are the way to go (as far as I can see)

Start imaging

When necessary perform pier flip

open one of the subs you just took and make it a refrence image

take a fresh image and plate solve

Elbrus can then re-slew the mount so you are back on target again.

Is this correct Chris?

The only thing that is slightly worrying me is that it appears that in order to get it to plate solve you need to input the image scale and rotation

The image scale and rotation can be determined automatically via a calibration process provided you can identify two stars in your image and know their GSC numbers.

The image angle doesn't have to be particularly accurate elbrus will search +/-15 degrees.

To my mind knowing your image scale / field of view is rather important and is well worth calculating in advance of your imaging sessions (after all you want to make sure the thing you're imaging fits on chip). I just maintain a simple spreadsheet with a row for each of my equipment combinations - the calculation is quite simple.

resolution (arcsecs) = (206.28*PixelSize)/(Barlow*FocalLength)

where PixelSize is in microns, FocalLength in mm. Barlow is the magnification of your barlow or reducer.

Looks like the steps below are the way to go (as far as I can see)

Start imaging

When necessary perform pier flip

open one of the subs you just took and make it a reference image

take a fresh image and plate solve

Elbrus can then re-slew the mount so you are back on target again.

Is this correct Chris?

I'd do this.

1. goto target then frame as required.

2. Plate solve to find image centre coods.

3. Sync to set EQASCOM coords to the true coords of the image centre

4. Bookmark current position

5. Image

6. If necessary perform pier flip... Then

a. Take an image
b. Plate solve & Sync
c. Goto bookmark
d. Resume Imaging

or alternatively b, c, and d can be replaced by

b. Using Chris' ElbrusCLient App hit the "Solve,Sync and Goto" button

Chris.

More questions......

How do I get a stars GSC number? How do I work out the angle?

The image scale bit all makes sense though, so thats one good thing!

I have posted in the Elbrus group as I downloaded the catalog but am still getting some errors with a distance file?

I will be watchin this with interest Craig, and you can teach me about it over the winter m8.

If its if any use I have a wee freeware application that does plate solving, I aint used it yet buts its supposed to be good.

gary

How do I get a stars GSC number? How do I work out the angle?

If your preferred planetarium doesn't have a GSC catelog loaded then it seems there is a way to simply enter the RA/DEC coords as part of the Elbrus calibration - see

Yahoo! Groups

If you align your camera so that North is up and East is to the left, then the angle will be 0. Of course following a flip images will appear upside down so the angle will change by +/-180 degrees. I think I'll modify my client app to automatically get ELBRUS to try a flipped angle should the initial solve fail.

Chris.

Chris.

Chris,

Am I koossing somthing here..... Surely if I give Elbrus the co-ords of a couple of guide stars then I have basically done the astrometry for it anyway? Seems a bi of a pain in the proverbial if each time I change target I need to find 2 stars that I know the ra and dec for?

Seems a bi of a pain in the proverbial if each time I change target I need to find 2 stars that I know the ra and dec for?

Whenever you change your equipment Elbrus will need to know approximate imaging resolution and camera angle to get it started. You don't need to enter this / recalibrate for each target if the equipment hasn't changed. So at the star of your session you can choose those two stars in you planeatrium - do a goto, perform the calibration and your set for the rest of the evening. Or if you happen to know your imaging resolution and camra angle you just enter them manually.

Some time ago I spent a bit of time making series of marks on my camera adaptor that allows me to always set up at a known angle with respect to RA/DEC.

Chris.

Archived