SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Overcoming imaging probs

Llamanaut

After buying ezza's vesta 675 ive started slowly with the basics of webcam imaging. Its been cloudy since so ive been refining my technique during the day using a distant target (the bolt fixing an aerial to a roof about a quarter of a mile away)

Im using the evostar 120 on eq3-2 mount. Single motor drive and ir filter for cam is arriving next week. Im using predominantly a x2 barlow on its own and variously a 20, 15 and 10 eyepiece in a 75mm draw tube with some pleasing results. For cam control im using wxAstroCapture and i have a 500gb extrnal hardrive for my dell laptop.

When attaching my canon 450d to the scope there are a couple of things ive noticed with the shots that need a fix, i think i know whats causing it but just wanted to bounce things off you more experienced imagers

Im getting a lot of purple fringing which im assuming is down achromatic abberation, any quick fixes for this or is it fringe killer time?

Also im experiencing the centre of the shot nice and crisp which blurs as i get to the outside of the pic. Again im assuming this is down to the shape of the scope objective and i'll need some kind of flattener, any ideas on quick fixes or will i have to get my credit card out?

Got the fright of my life yesterday when i was focussing on the aerial bolt, i took my eye off the image on the laptop for a second and when i looked again there was a huge beedy eye looking back at at me from the screen. A crow had decided to perch on the aerial i was using as a traget, a bit disconcerting as the image moves!

Im enjoying tinkering with imaging, and i can see why its so addictive :eek:

Purple fringing - yes it's CA and you can try a fringe killer although I dont know effective they are with regards to imaging.

For imaging with a DSLR you will need a flattener - try FLO's website as they are stocking the skywatcher ones which might work.

Archived