Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another newbie

neilm

Hi, just joined the forum on recommendation from one of your moderators. I’ve been dabbling over the years with bins but have now made the plunge with a Celestron 102 wide scope, very pleased, good optics and very portable.

I do use it for other purposes, bit of wildlife spotting and noticed, dependent upon the magnification and where the light source is, a certain amount of chromatic aberation. Is there any way to offset this, a filter maybe ?

Final question, for today anyway, I got rid of all my old 35m slr equipment a few years back and now just have a couple of pocket sized digital cameras, is there any way to hook up a cheap digital camera to the scope ?

Cheers Neil

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Neil,

A very warm welcome to SGL, without knowing the type of camera it is not possible to say whether any direct coupling could be made to your scope, however, there are a number of special mounting brackets which attach the camera and telescope in line to allow afocal photography to take place, alternatively you can hand hold the camera to the eyepiece, with a little practice quite remarkable results on objects like the Moon can be achieved, an additional cable release devise for your camera would be an essential accessory to avoid camera shake. If you provide information about you camera/scope into the imaging section I am sure you will obtain the information you require.

John.

Welcome to the Lounge Neil, with regards CA with your scope a 'fringe killer' or 'semi apo' filter will reduce purple fringing if its irritating, this occurs at higher magnifications. Otherwise buy an ED APO scope as they are less troublesome in this respect.

JohnH.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and advice. Just one question as regards the advice, which is very much appreciated, is there somewhere on this site that explains all the acrnoyms? I am a newbie afterall!

Hi Neil, welcome to SGL.

There was somewhere a list of acronyms and their meanings, but for the life of me I can't find it.

There was mention of it being made a "sticky".

If there's something you want to know, please ask, we are a helpful bunch here.

be prepared for the wallet to get caned lol ! this hobby can be 'spensive but when you get results..,.,.,., totally worthwhile !

anyway a warm welcome Neil ! ps type in glossary of terms to the search bar that should give ya what ya want !

Hi Neil welcome you will find all the answers somewhere on here if not they say to ask

I'm still looking around myself loads of good stuff and friendly people.

Grahame

Archived