SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

clear skies over the welsh valleys tonight

Ags

According to the BBC the sky is proper clear from around 22.00 till after 01.00 over the Merthyr area. These will be my first really clear skies in a month!

And a new eyepiece arrived for me today - a 6mm TS planetary. Hopefully it won't attract any clouds... ;-)

And there's a nice big moon to point the EP at, and maybe Jupiter too if the skies stay clear and the horizon co-operates (I'm not sure how high it will climb). It will be the first time I have seen Jupiter (with my eyes or through a telescope) for 25 years.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

25 years thats a long time hope the skies stay clear and you get to use your new E P on jupiter I got to see the moon for 5 mins last night through the clouds with my binos got to see Tycho plato copernicus and the other easy to see features :eek:

I am just south of you Ags, Just below Forest Drive.(Cwmcarn) Saw the same forecast as you, but am not holding my breath.

Raining at the moment.............but have 7 hours before anything will be visible. so fingers crossed.

hear's a good link to see what's heading our way

MMMmm look like a big cloud but will it disperse in time and do we trust the BBC weather.

there does look to be a possibility though i can see that there is a gap forming in the lead front.. if it does stay clear at least we could hope for good seeing as it has rained and cleared the air.

PS from Caerphilly

Grahame

The BBC are accurate when it comes to cloud... Sorry everyone if I raised hopes too much. I will hold out for clear skies later - my new eyepiece needs to be used.

hi ags

at the moment i got clear skys from the south to the west

but its looking like more clouds are coming from the west

hope you have some luck later

i'am off for a pint

steve

Stayed up for Jupiter. Bit dissapointed, as it was clouding over just as Jupiter was coming up. Saw it through rapidly thickening cloud, but I also had dew problems - I guess a dew shield is in order. There were maybe five minutes between the telescope cap coming off and dew forming. Also had dew on the finder and the eyepiece.

I did see all the moons and one cloud band. I was hoping it would be a bit more detailed. Its hard to judge under such poor conditions.

According to the BBC the sky is proper clear from around 22.00 till after 01.00 over the Merthyr area. These will be my first really clear skies in a month!

And a new eyepiece arrived for me today - a 6mm TS planetary. Hopefully it won't attract any clouds... ;-)

And there's a nice big moon to point the EP at, and maybe Jupiter too if the skies stay clear and the horizon co-operates (I'm not sure how high it will climb). It will be the first time I have seen Jupiter (with my eyes or through a telescope) for 25 years.

Good evening...I'm in Hereford and I am hoping for clear skies when I venture out in 30 mins or so. I'm also looking to point my scope at Jupiter tonight for the first time ever...fingers crossed. Jupiter was shining brightly last night whilst I drove home at midnight :mad:

Good night tonight: Globulars: M13, M56, M15. Planetaries: M27, M57. Could see the objects quite well despite moon - some nights the moon seems to interfere less than others. M13 looked stunning at high magnification to reduce the sky glow. Very pleased I managed to find M27 as it is very far from any convenient reference stars.

I'm a bit miffed as I decided to not to get everything out last night as I had an important meeting this morning, only for the meeting to be moved to tomorrow:( I did manage 10 minutes of just naked eye constellation spotting which was fun :mad:

Helen

Archived