SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi everyone im new to this and need abit of help, im going to buy a new telescope and was wondering which one would be best the Skywatcher 127 synscan or the Dobsonian synscan 10, any help would be great thanks

Hi Frankie and welcome to the group :eek:

These are two totally different scopes - the 127 is a Maksutov Cassegrain and the Dobsonian is a Newtonian scope on a Dobson mount. They are also two entirely different sizes - hence like for like comparison is not really possible.

What I can say is that the big one will give you lots of light gathering power that will give good views of most anything (Nebulae, Clusters, Planets, Double Stars etc).

The 127 on the other hand will have a long focal length and be extremely good at seeing planets. You can of course use it to view other stuff but the light gathering power will make views more limited than the Dob.

You really need to take time to consider what your budget is and what you want to do/see with it. Get to a star party or join an astro society and look at the different types/uses of scopes. You'll also get chance to look through them for better informed comparison.

This hobby is a bit like choosing hifi separates - you need to research first. This is a small start - others will have lots more to add.

Good luck and hope you get to enjoy astronomy as much as I do ;)

Thanks for the help, I would love to see deep sky objects Nebulae etc so im thinking the Dob may be the choice for me and ive heard good things about it, Does anyone know if its difficult to set up the synscan?

Well a 10" Dob will give awesome views of planets and Nebs will be no problem at all. Just don't expect the glossy views shown in photos and on the net. The reality is that it's gonna be mostly blacks, whites, and all shades of grey.

Planets will be in colour and some double stars too. But the colour pics are achieved mostly through long exposure photography (many mins per frame and hundreds or thousands of frames) with high grade optics and equatorial mountings.

The dobson mount is alt/az.

The synscan is a doddle to use so long as you read the instructions thoroughly. I have Synscan on the Flex Tube and it's brilliant - but not good enough LE pics.

Cheers :eek:

Ill def get a Dob then, Even seeing them in black and white im sure its an amazing veiw right? Would love to get into the photography side but for now ill just try to master the night sky

Ill def get a Dob then, Even seeing them in black and white im sure its an amazing veiw right? Would love to get into the photography side but for now ill just try to master the night sky

The views of the brightest deep sky objects, the moon, Saturn and Jupiter are spectacular in a 10" scope. Many other deep sky objects can also be seen but they are in many cases faint fuzzy blobs even with a 10" - have a look at some observers sketches rather than photos to get an idea - the photos can be very misleading.

Even faint fuzzy patches of light are amazing when you know a bit about what you are looking at though :eek:

Archived