sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Butterfly & Crescent

My father being the all round good egg that he is, has given me this lens. An Optomax 135mm f 2.8. He originally bought it for £50 in 1969 which makes it (much) older than me.

4815831820_ce65672e39_z.jpg

I gave it a test out last night managing to capture 2 hours in 10 min subs on my modded 1000d with an Astronomik 12nm Ha filter. lens was stepped down to f5.6.

4817719358_db4563e3f2_b.jpg

Blimey, a blast from the past in more ways than one John.

That is an incredible performance from the old lens.

I bet dad's chuffed too, and would never have dreamed the gift would grab this from the depths of space.

Wonderful, and a nice story too.

Ron.:eek:

Many thanks for the comments. I haven't shown my Dad the first light on his old lens, it's his birthday on the 4th of August so I'm thinking I might get a print framed for him.

Pardon my ignorance but how did you focus the lens?

Not an ignorant question at all. I believe many find difficulties focusing camera lens.

I used the live view on my camera centered on vega. With the Ha filer in a could JUST make it out enough to focus. The lens has a secondary aperture ring to open up while you focus.

The focus rings and the lens in general are really solid - it's built like a tank. They certainly knew how to build kit to last in those days.

Edited by johnrt

If I try the same with my Canon 450D unmodified with an Astronomik Ha filter through my 80mm refractor focally reduced on an LX200 mount, could I expect the same sort of output?

How does the Ha filter attach directly to the lens?

Edited by AstroManDan

If I try the same with my Canon 450D unmodified with an Astronomik Ha filter through my 80mm refractor focally reduced on an LX200 mount, could I expect the same sort of output?

How does the Ha filter attach directly to the lens?

The Ha filter fits in to the body of the camera, where a lens would screw in. I doubt you would get a result without a modded camera.

Did you get any test shots at faster f/number?

Nope, this is sadly to date the lens only outing. I'm itching to get out there with it again. Damn these clouds.

Edited by johnrt