Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5

Hello folks, I'm looking for a bit of advice / direction here.

It's getting to that time of year when I'm one year older and I'm allowed to spend some money on myself (for surviving another year with-out being found out).

Anyway, my new project is hopefully going to be a GOTO upgrade and the one I'm after is the 'SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5' £285 from FLO.

Thing is, when I do stuff like this I usually do a bit of home work first to make sure I'm not getting into something I can't get out of.

I've googled and had a good look around but I can't seem to find much out about this, has anyone else installed this and if so do you have a url for downloading the manual - I'd like to read it before diving in head first!

Looking at the spec I think it will do everything and more than I require.

Cheers for now.

Hello folks, I'm looking for a bit of advice / direction here.

It's getting to that time of year when I'm one year older and I'm allowed to spend some money on myself (for surviving another year with-out being found out).

Anyway, my new project is hopefully going to be a GOTO upgrade and the one I'm after is the 'SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5' £285 from FLO.

Thing is, when I do stuff like this I usually do a bit of home work first to make sure I'm not getting into something I can't get out of.

I've googled and had a good look around but I can't seem to find much out about this, has anyone else installed this and if so do you have a url for downloading the manual - I'd like to read it before diving in head first!

Looking at the spec I think it will do everything and more than I require.

Cheers for now.

I fitted one of these kits to my non-Skywatcher EQ5. The only issue I had was that the plastic RA shroud would not fit straight off as the outside diameter of the RA shaft housing on my mount is about 5mm greater than the the Skywatcher/Celestron CG5 mount this kit is designed for. I fixed that by carefully planing the the shroud with a very sharp hobby knife until it matched my mount. I took my time, took a little off at a time and frequently test fitted to get a perfect fit (see photo). Other than this fitting the kit was dead easy - one bolt per axis. A little care is required in ensuring the correct mesh between the transfer gears - not too tight, not too loose and remember to lube them with the included lithium grease.

There is no fitting manual for the Skywatcher kit because it's obvious how it goes on, however, the iOptron kit is near identical, except for the RA shroud fitting, and a fitting sheet can be found here. Gotostar EQ5 GoTo upgrade

Hope that helps.

3fbdf4938c9a746621591fd3257ea720_3221.jpg?dl=1257774802

The upgrade kit does have a manual but its pretty basic and in some ways not much help. I know cos I had the upgrade kit at one time.

Its not that hard to fit but if your stuck you know there are always helpful folk on here to help out. The biggest glicth seems to be people puttting the cogs on the wrong way round - seen a few posts about that. Its easy to do but just as easy to fix so no drama there.

I still have a PDF of the manual I think but I am not on my home PC right now - thje manual for installation was a single sheet of paper and pretty hopeless.

Thanks folks.

Beetlejuice, I downloaded that pdf and yes it was helpful, I'm just happy to know it's do-able / with-in my capabilities, so thanks for that.

Astro-baby, thanks, it's tips like that (cogs on backwards) I'm after, so well appreciated.

Maybe in a month or so I can actually get some proper usage out of the lifecam mod, as with this, I spent more time reading and thinking than I actually spent doing it. LOL.

Then it'll be an autoguider and roro obsy after that, that's the thing with astronomy, there really isn't an end to the projects if you want to go down that road.

Thanks again.

Thanks folks.

Then it'll be an autoguider and roro obsy after that, that's the thing with astronomy, there really isn't an end to the projects if you want to go down that road.

Thanks again.

Yes, 'gadget intensive' is a good description of the hobby!

I'm planning on using the intermediate time to follow Astro-Baby's guide HEQ5 Strip Down Guide and completely strip, clean and service the EQ5.

Theory being the less error in the system at the basic level the better as any small error is only amplified as a system is refined.

Qote from Astro-Baby's site

"I found on strip down mine had a reasonable quantity of manufacturing debris left inside - this became noticeable after a GoTo upgrade with the motors stalling and the mount sticking."

One thing though, I'm planning on using PTFE based grease as I've read recently that people are getting very good results with this, longevity, not breaking down, good cold weather performance etc, has anyone got any advice / experience with this stuff?

Cheers.

I'm planning on using the intermediate time to follow Astro-Baby's guide HEQ5 Strip Down Guide and completely strip, clean and service the EQ5.

Theory being the less error in the system at the basic level the better as any small error is only amplified as a system is refined.

Qote from Astro-Baby's site

"I found on strip down mine had a reasonable quantity of manufacturing debris left inside - this became noticeable after a GoTo upgrade with the motors stalling and the mount sticking."

One thing though, I'm planning on using PTFE based grease as I've read recently that people are getting very good results with this, longevity, not breaking down, good cold weather performance etc, has anyone got any advice / experience with this stuff?

Cheers.

You're better using this guide for stripping an EQ5 Astronomy Boy: CG-5 Mount Improvements No experience with PTFE grease. I used good old Shell Retinax - seems to work just fine.

Thanks for that, I've downloaded the pdf from Astro-boy, and yes it's good, I'll probably use both (laptop on the bench) and a camera to take piccy's as I go.

Some really good pictures, this is good as I now have a clear idea of what to expect once I start.

I'll have to do some research on the grease front as I only want to do this the once.

Been doing some thinking and i reckon I know where I can borrow a degreasing bath (proper one) for cleaning the components prior to re-greasing and re-assembly.

Two weeks before I get home so plenty of time to plot and plan yet.

This looks like the kind of stuff I'm after.

"FLUORTEK TP56 -Synthetic based Lubricant with PTFE

Fluortek TP56 contains micronised fluoropolymer dispersed in synthetic based oil with antioxidation additives. It is an unique lubricant with long life properties. Water repellent, does not soil, resists high (+200°) and low (-50°) temperatures. Non ageing and has extremely low friction. Supplied in cans 0.5 / 1,5 / 10 and 25 kg."

Evidently doesn't turn to a black mush as quickly as lithium stuff. I hope!

Archived