Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First peek

Talitha

The 'scope dolly' was delivered today, and Lurch (16" Light Bridge) is finally mobile! :eek:

He's been in the living room since 9 July waiting for the wheels and never once complained, bless his big shiny heart.

It was fairly clear tonight, but i didn't go out. We've had quite a bit of badly needed rain in the last week, and the sudden moisture caused a major hatch-out of bazzillions of mosquitos... the huge kind that bite straight through a car door to get at you. ;) Well, there's no way i was volunteering to be a donor, so i simply rolled Lurch to the living room's south-facing French door for a quick look.

Luna was beautifully framed between two Aspens, and hung in the blue sky like a child's lost balloon. My first-ever collimation must have been fairly decent, because she looked wonderful even through three panes of glass, her terminator quite stunning all the way from Anaxagoras to Clavius. The 2" Meade 26mm QX eyepiece which came with Lurch supplied 70x in a nearly one degree fov. In a word, i'm happy with today's first peek and can't wait for my first serious night of observing. :icon_eek:

In a word, i'm happy with today's first peek and can't wait for my first serious night of observing. :eek:

And I'm sure I won't be the only one who can't wait to hear of your views through big 'Lurch'.

DSO's should be rediculously good !!

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Andy.

Congrats on the additon of big Lurch, Talitha, and the scope dolly will make viewing a bit easier. ;)

Oooh, big mozzies are nasty, hopefully the rain and mozzie situation will settle soon so you can take Lurch out into the big outdoors for some of the real stuff. It will be amazing!!!! :eek:

Oh Carol, you've changed Lurch's name to Killer, just as I was trying to figure out a way to slip "You Rang", Into the post.:eek:.

Never mind, I wish you years of prime viewing with big K.

Ron.;)

It sounds like a fantastic scope, and I can only imagine what DSOs must look like after being amazed by the views through my 5.1"! It sounds like you've got your scope set up for observing now that the wheels have arrived - and your collimation sounds pretty good too - I have never collimated my scope and I've had it for half a year but it still gives great views, so I bet your optics are very precise and I'm sure you'll get the most out of them!

I'm glad you finally got a peek through the new scope! sounds like you had a great time, I hope you get some clear skies soon to really put it through it's paces!:eek:

Thanks! ;) Yep, the bugs have been terrible since the rain, but we really needed it. According to the forecast the first clear night will be Sunday, so i'll have just enough time to get the dew shield made for the secondary, and sew the shroud.

(Lurch wearing a shroud.. priceless. :eek:)

Nice to hear you finally got to test Lurch. I sympathasise with you about the huge mossies after being nearly eaten alive by tiny midges at Kielder last year.

The sacrifices we astronomers make for our hobby.

I have found an outfit to beat the mossys.. and it works well I was in Tangier last year and bought a Moroccan Gallabaya to wear ,, its full length has long sleeves and even has a hood and is made of cotton material so you can keep your cool ! It worked really well and no bites !! OK i admit I must look a little odd,, but who is going to see me out in the garden at 2am? Oh and they make them for men too !

I hope you get a good look through your lovely new scope tomorrow night ,, i was hoping tonight would hold good but no,, a big blanket of cloud all evening !

If it was a white one, the neighbors might think you're a ghost. :mad::D

Thanks for the well-wish Altair, i was able to get first and second light on Saturday (deck) and Sunday (Starpad) and will do the write-up as soon as my photon-high settles down. :eek:

Archived