eyepiece choice

The seeing was better tonight and dew wasn't a problem either. I had another go at Jupiter at 220x and saw some stunning detail, with color seen (ok, brown color) and multiple bands accross the planet. I compared the view to 150x and tonight I preferred the 220x view. Couldn't see the Great Red Spot though...

I had a go at Uranus and think I found it. At 220x I could make out what seemed to be a tiny disk. It wasn't point-like and I think the focus was good.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The seeing was better tonight and dew wasn't a problem either. I had another go at Jupiter at 220x and saw some stunning detail, with color seen (ok, brown color) and multiple bands accross the planet. I comared the viw to 150x and tonight I preferred the 220x view. Couldn't see the Great Red Spot though...

I had a go at Uranus and think I found it. At 220x I could make out what seemed to be a tiny disk. It wasn't point-like and I think the focus was good.

Good stuff - I think the GRS will come into view in the early hours - it transits the centre of the planets disk at 5:48 am BST according to the calculator here:

SkyandTelescope.com - Planets - Transit Times of Jupiter's Great Red Spot

Archived