Light Pollution Fighting

OXO

Light Pollution Fighting,

Whats your weapon of choice when you are hindered by your Local Light Pollution?

I find the Baader Neodymuim Moon and Sky Glow filter does an excellent job of fighting off LP be it when Imaging or Observing and on some nights it's a must have in my location...

James

Tried the Antares ALP filter on Friday, looking at M45 it did kill the LP but it put a green tinge on the stars which wasn't too bad. :rolleyes: Went up to M31 and what a difference it made, never thought I would see the full extent of the arms without taking a picture. I will have to give it a go on the camera up at Kielder. :shock:

I have recently purchased a Baader UHC-S filter. It's a narrowband filter but not as harsh as some so the stars don't dim too much. It has made a significant finding and viewing planetary nebs from my back garden which is surrounded by street lighting. I can even see the brighter portion of the Veil Nebula through my 80mm frac with it - it is simply not visable without the filter.

I brought it because the reviews I read recommended it for use in smaller apetures (I have an ED100 and and ED80) - from my practical expereince I'd agree with that.

Even though it's not supposed to make a difference on galaxies I do find the views of M31/32 and NGC110 improved - probably because it reduces the background skyglow in this case, rather than it's light emission filtering.

In in all I think it was £45 well spent.

John,

North Somerset

Really Arthur, some of us have enough so that we could share and send you a bit.

My tools are, primarily a CLS filter or ALP filter to cut down the LP, or Ha or OIII narrow band filter to lose it entirely. I intend to get the other bandpass filters as soon as I can get the spendage past a certain gorgeous chick, along with a filter wheel to prevent image rotation when I change the filter.

Captain Chaos

CLS, then buy the others. Then buy a filter wheel and RGB colour filters, then buy SII and Hb ones, then find out about others such as NII etc.

The filter wheel might be before the RGB filters so that I can do false colour images, RGB wouldn't get rid of any light pollution (unless I double them up with a CLS filter on the nosepiece?) so I can snap away at nebulae without getting grief from local lighting.

Captain Chaos

Archived