Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Triplet FPL-53 APO 80/480 Arived Today

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2010 at 05:41, johninderby said:

TS Triplet FPL-53 APO 80/480 Arived Today :D

This little beauty arrived today. I had been considering getting a Megrez 72 as small portable scope that would work well on a photo tripod, then this one caught my eye. The TS Triplet is about the same weight and only 2" longer with the dewshield retracted. Yes it is about £230.00 more....but for an 80mm FPL-53 Triplet APO! It sounded great and after reading some very promising independent test results on a German forum I decided to order one. Would it be too good to be true? Had Telescope Service cut corners somewhere? Pricing is similar to Meade's Triplets.

Well upon opening the shipping box and taking the scope out of the case the first impression was of just how solidly built it is and flawlessly finished as well. The objectives coatings looked perfect and reminded me of a TMB APO I used to have. The focuser is very solid and it feels as if it will handle a quite a load. The drawtube has three locking screws instead of the usual one or two and uses a steel plate on the bottom instead of just a plain anodised surface. The dewshield has a locking screw on it but it seems to stay in place without using the screw. The mounting foot is removable and will attach to an EQ5 mount or NexStar SE mount or a photo tripod.

Synta also has this FPL-53 Triplet objective and are using it in the new Orion 80mm Triplet APO. I think you can guarantee a SkyWatcher version coming out before too long. With Meade doing well with their Triplets, I was wondering why Synta hadn't released something to compete. hmmm....A SkyWatcher 80mm FPL-53 Triplet APO selling at about the same price as the Meade Triplet with it's FPL-51 equivalent glass. That should make for an interesting winter season in the small APO wars. :):evil6::)

Telescope Services blurb

Air spaced Triplet APO Objective 80/480mm

-- FPL-53 by O`Hara for optimal colour correction

-- Retractable dewcap - allows a transport length of only 355mm

-- Universal saddle plate with 1/4" photo tripod thread

-- 2" Crayford focuser with 1:11 dual speed transmission

-- 5.5° field of view with 2" eyepiece

-- In combination with the 2" TS flattener an exceptional and fast photo Apo

-- Aluminium travel case

BTW TS's website quotes the wrong OTA weight.The actual weight is 2.4Kg.

Now if the forecast for tonight is right there should be clear skies after 10:00 pm. :) I'll settle for few holes in the clouds, anything so I can actually try out the new scope.

John

I'm pretty new to the game after having some fun with a DSLR and telephoto on an Ioptron Skytracker I just bought an HEQ5-Pro and today ordered the TS Photoline 80mm f/6 FPL53 Triplet-Apo 2,5" RPA from Germany. I was wondering if you still have / use this scope and how was your long term experience with it? Thanks in advance.

Hi

Unfortunately I don't have the scope anymore. Foolishly sold it to help pay for something else. Have regretted selling it ever since as it was a fine little scope. While I had it though I was always impressed with the performance. 

Good luck with yours. Hope it turns out to be as good as mine was. 

John

Archived