SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC 1396 HaRGB

ollypenrice

We've had some stunning narrowbands of this so I thought I'd try RGB with Ha. (Ha 5.2 hours, 7Nm and an hour per colour, Baby Q at 328mm.)

I imaged it last year with a 13Nm filter and this is miles better. Far more contrast. Too much, maybe. Should I back it off a bit?

Cheers,

Olly

936701075_jhrMy-X2.jpg

You have been busy Olly another cracking image. Managed a mere quarter of it last year ran out of time to get enough for a mosiac :)

Regards

Kevin

I know, the ruddy thing is enormous and about as bright as he who couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time...

Olly

This one looks good to me. As for contrast you can try to judge it by eye but I prefer to look at the finished values in the PS Info palette. Provided the darkest bits are above about 10 and the brightest are below 250-252 then you have it about right. That way when you print it you will have very little solid black or paper base white showing. You might need to watch dot gain which will depend on your printer/ink/paper but for the web everyone views on a different monitor so what's the point?

Poor old Gerald, will they never forget?

Dennis

As Ron says Olly....lovely and vibrant.

Do you find the difference between the 13 and 7nm filters to be really significant? (Oh Oh....Amanda will see this and I promised her no more filters....in writing!!)

Rob

As Ron says Olly....lovely and vibrant.

Do you find the difference between the 13 and 7nm filters to be really significant? (Oh Oh....Amanda will see this and I promised her no more filters....in writing!!)

Rob

Hi Rob,

Alas, I fear the answer is yes! The 7Nm gives a far more dramatic picture with spades of contrast. It is also better in the moon. My earlier version of this image is very flat by comparison - though you could maybe synthesize a 7 Nm using Noel's Enhance Local Contrast...

But you won't.

May I recommend grovelling?

Olly

Archived