Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Despite my enthusiasm for the OSC camera in my AN article, the truth is that I usually pick up the mono when I'm on my own. I need to change that because this was so easy! 3 hours in the Atik 4000 OSC/TEC140/EQ6.

I was only hoping to get some so-so high res to drop into my guest's Baby Q widefield Lagoon-Trifid and didn't expect 3 hours at f7 to give me a stand alone RGB result. But I think it has. I will do the usual Ha layer at some point soon but for now here's RGB.

Yup, I'm pleasantly surprized by the signal.

Olly

935553168_uVyFP-X2.jpg

Crikey... wish I had seen this post before I bought my 314L+ Mono and filters etc.. I nearly bought the colour 383+

I like an easy life :)

Anyway ... stunning image Olly ... Wonderful colours.. very nice indeed.

How does the sensitivity compare between the OSC and the Mono then?

It's always been trumpeted that the colour is lower in that department, due to the Bayer layer? but this Image seems to make a mockery of that.

Has anyone got a LRGB to compare.?

I suppose the comparison needs to be derived using the same environmental conditions though.

Ron.

How does the sensitivity compare between the OSC and the Mono then?

It's always been trumpeted that the colour is lower in that department, due to the Bayer layer? but this Image seems to make a mockery of that.

Has anyone got a LRGB to compare.?

I suppose the comparison needs to be derived using the same environmental conditions though.

Ron.

I did a comparison in Astronomy Now, Ron, between the OSC and mono 4000s. Same scope, same objects. You need a little longer in the OSC to get the same quality but it is not a big deal. However, it is certainly not quicker, as some people think. It can be easier but isn't always, though out at the scope it certainly is and I prefer one flat to four!!

Olly

Thanks Olly.

I got the Atik 314L+ Mono, so I have to do the work. Fortunately I understand dark frames are unnecessary.

I will just have to get my head around the processing. The Colour may have made life easier, but no doubt either will be challenging for a beginner :).

Ron.

Thanks Olly.

I got the Atik 314L+ Mono, so I have to do the work. Fortunately I understand dark frames are unnecessary.

I will just have to get my head around the processing. The Colour may have made life easier, but no doubt either will be challenging for a beginner :).

Ron.

If you only have one camera I think you made a good choice, Ron.

Olly

Nice one Olly. I like the dark patches of dust ands clouds in contrast to the bright nebula.

Did you catch a good look at Le Tour today?

Hi Maurice, I have too many images to work on with my guests so it is all night and all day and no cycling! That's bad...

Olly

Great image Olly :-)., congratulations.

My impression is that for lots of DSO's with "good signal" and for photography , colour cameras is the way to go! I saw images made with refrigerated DSLR that are really impressive (there are even some APOD's made with those ones!). You don't need to mess with LRGB filters, flats for each one, etc.

If I made only photography I would choose a colour camera I think!

Regards,

paulo

I suppose I should'nt forget you have superior skies Olly, that's where LRGB images should help ... was forgetting that when I got carried away with this image.. :)

Guy

I suppose I should'nt forget you have superior skies Olly, that's where LRGB images should help ... was forgetting that when I got carried away with this image.. :)

Guy

I think you're right, Guy. Of course, I don't know cos I only image here! Plus the narrowband issue. But for me, trying to run two setups plus visual, the OSC is a godsend and is on great form. It has a half done Stephan's Quintet coming too.

However, never mind this picture, check out the M8 M20 widefield in which this plays a part...

Olly

I don`t think everybody would get such good results from a OSC. LP makes all the difference and like Olly said he ain`t got any!!! Mono plus filters is probably the best choice for the majority...

Alan:D

Ok, now I'm beginning to get lost in the jargon....hoping that if I read enough it will sink in by osmosis. Great image though.