1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

What object do you really want to see?

Which object in the night sky do you really want to see?

Mine is R136 - a unique object: a young globular cluster, which is amazing as we usually think of globular clusters as the oldest objects in the sky. But R136 is one of the youngest objects in the sky, in the heart of the Tarantula Nebula in the Large Magellanic Cloud.

Obviously I'm not going to see it from my Welsh back garden any time soon! ;-)

Having just started out, I'll be happy to just see the red spot on Jupiter! :) I've not managed to see it yet even though I've been able to view Jupiter a couple of times. Maybe it's been hiding on the other side of the planet and I just have to wait a bit longer?

The Magellenic Clouds is something I've wanted to see for a while now. The most Southern I got was La Palma last march and I had a very spectacular 1 degree view of Eta Carina and a very good view of Omega Centauri (no wonder they thought it was a star) so that leaves the twin clouds for now. I don't know if they're that great to see, but just the idea that you're watching 2 dwarf galaxy's being pulled in by our own Milky Way is mindboggling to me.

I'd like to 'finish off' the last two larger planets with Neptune and Uranus this year - just waiting for them to rise a little to opposition.

Looking forward to Jupiter too and M42 as I have not seen these in my dob yet.

other than these 'definitely will see' objects, it would be a multi-tail sky filling comet.

My main ambition was to see a total eclipse of the Sun (Turkey 2006 :)), an annular eclipse (Spain 2005 :D) and the Venus transit (the whole thing from start to finish 2004 :))

With regard to the future it has to be the southern skies - omega centauri, eta carina(e) nebula, tatantula nebula and 47 tucanae.

Perhaps I might get to see M70 and complete my Messier list.

Mark

At the moment I would love to see ANYTHING apart from these cloudy skies! In terms of a specific object and through a REALLY REALLY big scope it would have to be M104 (The Sombrero Galaxy).

James

Yep - I allways wanted to see the sombrero too. Saw the swan neb 2 weeks ago in a 16" dob - superb! and the ring neb same night. Also wanna see the pillars of creation - seen the neb around it but not the eagle shape yet. :)

I'd love to see the Rosette. I've had a look in the area where it is but it doesnt show up in scopes. It is really only visible with digital images......so i'd love to be proficient enough to image it with my camera.

Then in no particular order:

The Veil nebula

Sombrero galaxy

Jupiter's GRS

last but by no means least................CLEAR SKIES.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher