Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Cornwall

hawk eye

Very new to stargazing so bought a meade etx 125 pe. Big mistake. It couldn't find North with it's North technology and no matter which alignment I used it never new where it was poor thing so, not fit for purpose. Ace cameras were very understanding so now I'm thinking about the SkyWatcher Skyliner 250P FlexTube Auto Dobsonian Telescope for similar money. I can't find any bad news online about it only one very complimentary review. If anyone has heard good or bad about this scope I would be very grateful. I have my Planisphere and Turn left at Orion book, it all makes sense as I am used to navigation and after 2 months of time wasting with the Meade am looking forward to a more hands on approach with a simple scope that works as there is very little light pollution where I live. BTW Meade have upgraded the aforementioned model, they have dumped the level North Technology and now include a hand held compass in the box, this, I presume is for people who cannot find the pole star :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Hawkeye, welcome to the forum.

I've got a dob and an etx, the dob gets used way more than the etx. Yeah it's bigger, but it's not temperamental like the etx. I think you will enjoy the better views of DSO's that the dob will provide.

Let us know what you think when you get a look through it.

Download Stellarium, it's free, very useful and will help navigating with the dob.

Hi Hawk Eye and welcome to the group :)

The 250P Flextube Auto you are considering won a group test in Astronomy Now Magazine early last year. (The 300P won a similar test in SAN a month later). I got the 300P Auto and was thoroughly delighted. I have also upgraded it to "goto" which works very well for observing (I wouldn't try imaging with it though).

The Auto will hold an object in the center of the eye piece for a good 30 mins or so and collimation seems to hold for 3 or 4 sessions before requiring adjustment (despite going up/down on the trusses). The views of course are terrific and you won't go wrong with the 250P.

Hope that helps :D

Hello from one new member to another.

I took my scope camping in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago and I have to say, I'm quite jealous of the dark skies you get looking over the sea. I also learnt (the hard way) about the importance of dew control while I was down there!

Welcome !! I have a flex 250px. Mine is non goto or tracking :) However it is a fantastic scope. I can lift the whole thing in one go fairly easily. The scope sits in a car seat and then takes a seat belt strapped across it, the mount fits in the back. This is great for visiting dark sky sites. The views are fantastic. I would recommend this scope to anyone, i'm very very pleased with mine.

Welcome hawk eye, the Skywatcher range are the cheapest and have excellent mirrors. A 5" scope is a bit too small but with a 10" you will see lots of detail everywhere with deep space and planetary/lunar - you will be amazed and delighted with the results especially as Cornwall is nice and dark.

JohnH.

Archived