Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dalby Forest

Stryda

Can anybody tell me what the observatory there is like? Also does anyone have any information regarding event dates? Will be my first astronomy event if I go to it, so am not sure what to expect.:)

Thanks.

Have a look at - scarborough-ryedale-as.org.uk first. I can't comment on the observatory domes as I've never been to a public event. They are not used during the Starfest.

The main star party is 13 / 16 August. It is held in a field in a forest. It is not a camp site but does have porta loos and a water carrier. Forget power hook ups and showers. There is no formal instruction for beginers but you may be invited to look through a few scopes. Not much imaging takes place unless you have a LARGE battery.

Sound awful ? It's not.

It's the most relaxed and laid back star party you could wish for. Fairly dark skies. Very friendly even for little ones. The best of Yorkshire on your door step and more fine ales than you could reasonably drink. Pleasant coast and steam railway close by. Miles of forest to go at on bike or foot.

Don't expect any thing. Turn up and enjoy.

Dave.

To the organisers.... can I come free now ?

Believe me, you will enjoy Dalby. Apart from the Astronomy itself, there is always a great atmosphere, and to many amateurs, the friendliness and camaraderie, is a very big part of these events.

There is an organised astromind, which is a friendly test of Astro knowledge, with prizes for the winners.

So many nice places to visit, Scarborough, the North Yorks Steam railway. You can take a trip on that to Grosmont and see the repair workshop and museum. The Forest has a Mountain Bike course to suit all skills, so take your bike with you.

Whitby is not far away either, a beautiful little place which caters for Dracula fans, and Goths. Visit Castle Howard Stately Home, and it's wonderful Grounds.

Get yourself there, given the weather, you will have a great time among very friendly people.

Ron.:)

Must be blind, can't recall seeing any obsy's at/near the visitor centre

They have/had two near the Visitors Centre Karlo.

Not sure if they are still there, but I think one housed a 18" folded reflector, and the other an 8", but I could be wrong about the sizes.

They were great obsy's, painted green to blend in with the surrounding Flora.:)

Ron.

Archived