Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount question

MarkF

Hi all,

I have acquired an EQ5 mount which is manual only ATM for visual use with an Evostar 120, I am wanting to buy the GOTO Pro motor pack for it giving a payload of 9kg. I have currently balanced the 120 with just one weight.

I am told this will take the weight of an Equinox ED80 and ST80 and with the motor kit which will have an ST4 port it would be sufficient for Guiding imaging. I know EQ6 or HEQ5 would be better but I don't want to throw money at a motor if I will need to upgrade the mount later. TBH the size of the EQ5 is very manageable as I intend to do most of my imaging whilst away in the caravan. So if I can stick with that for the time being and have a chance of some guiding with results that won't put me off I would rather go with the portability. I can't see me wanting to put anything bigger than a 200 newt on it for visual if I go that way, but for visual I am really aiming at a Dob anyway.

Cameras would be a couple of CCD's possibly Atik 16ic and 314L.

I think I am really asking if anyone has tried such a setup and how successful it was, if I can get away with not spending 700-900 quid on a mount obviously I want to as well as retain that portability. But on the other hand if this is just going to frustrate me there is a risk of not enjoying imaging. Apart from Payload I think the HEQ and EQ6 motors are different, will that affect long exposures? I appreciate the EQ5 my be more susceptible to wind too.

TIA

my C80ED, ST80, QHY5v, 450d, on a dual mount bar with rings etc weighs in at about 7.5Kg. I'm not sure of the limits on the EQ5, but the generally accepted measure for imaging is half the max load limit. I know there are people who image with the eq5 and goto motors fitted, guided, I don't recall what kit they have on top though.

Mark, I have an EQ5 clone with both RA and DEC motors. Not sure how I could get it to you but if you wanted to borrow it to experiment with you'd be more than welcome.

Cheers Simon, but as I don't have the ED80 and cameras, not a lot I could experiment with.

my C80ED, ST80, QHY5v, 450d, on a dual mount bar with rings etc weighs in at about 7.5Kg. I'm not sure of the limits on the EQ5, but the generally accepted measure for imaging is half the max load limit. I know there are people who image with the eq5 and goto motors fitted, guided, I don't recall what kit they have on top though.

John, I had read about the load recommendation and realise this would be pushing it in that respect, I wouldn't be using a DSLR though which I imagine weighs a bit more than a ATIK 314. EQ5 Pro is 9kg payload, but I am guessing that doesn't include the balance weights? If it doesn't and I can get away with one weight as I have now that would relieve some stress on the motors. I always like to push things to the limit anyway :D best bang for your buck and all that :)

I don't think the load limit includes the balance weights. I've been hunting for the thread, but can't find it... from memory they used an 80ed for imaging with an SLR and some form of lens or finder for the guide scope (which might be worth considering) instead of an ST80 to keep the weight down.

As far as I can see, the 16ic weighs about 350g which is about the same weight as the 314 (from google), (my 450d is about 500g), whereas my QHY5v weighs 100g (from a quick and rough measurement on the kitchen scales). That may not sound like a lot of difference in weight, but it may make all the difference in operation.

Your 9kg payload dosnt include the counterweights.

I found an old picture of my setup using the Equinox and the ST80.

I was able to balance it using one weight but I believe its easier on the mount and the motors if you use two weights closer to the mount. Less stress and less bounce.

I also did away with extra dovetails and guide rings by directly mounting the ST80's rings to the top of the Equinoxs' rings.

I never did weight the setup though.

post-17668-133877461892_thumb.jpg

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion I am trying to get a quart out of a pint pot as no one is coming forward to say they have successfully done this. John and Simon thanks for the input, I need to think hard on this one, motorised for the winter then sell and upgrade or just give it a bash any way.

I image on an eq5 - I have a 150p reflector & st80. I use an qhy5 for guiding and a dslr. Not sure if the 150p comes in heavier than that an ed80.

I would say that my mount is at it's limit with the kit I have on it.

Archived