548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

deepsky companion: which one?

Hi!

I observe with a 15.5" dobson using Tirion's SkyAtlas and the free alternative (Toshimi Taki's 8.5mag atlas).

I'm looking for a field deepsky companion where I can quickly check if an object on the atlas is worth to be pointed :-D

Which one would you buy and why:

Sky Atlas 2000.0 Companion, 2nd Edition

or

Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky Objects

or

others?

thanks

ciao

dan

I have the Sky Atlas 2000.0 companion but don't use it very much. It may be the sort of thing you are after. If you give me the ngc number of an object you may be interested in I could scan in and post a sample page.

A very highly rated pair of books is The Night Sky Observer's Guide Volumes 1 and 2, by Kemple and Sanner.

Dave

I have the Sky Atlas 2000.0 companion but don't use it very much. It may be the sort of thing you are after. If you give me the ngc number of an object you may be interested in I could scan in and post a sample page.

Don't worry Dave: I had a look inside on amazon:

Amazon.com: Sky Atlas 2000.0 Companion (9780521008822): Robert A. Strong, Roger

Can I ask you why don't you use it very much?

A very highly rated pair of books is The Night Sky Observer's Guide Volumes 1 and 2, by Kemple and Sanner.

Dave

They seem very interesting, the only "problem" is that they are HUGE. I already own the three Burnham's handbooks and I was looking for something more compact. I'm starting to think that a good thing would be to copy only the initial pages of each chapter of the Burnham's handbook (the ones with the list of DSO) and bring only them on the field...:-)

Thanks and ciao!

dan

Don't worry Dave: I had a look inside on amazon:

Amazon.com: Sky Atlas 2000.0 Companion (9780521008822): Robert A. Strong, Roger…

Can I ask you why don't you use it very much?

dan

Hi Dan

I probably don't use it much because I use other sources in preference. e.g. I use the software SkyMapPro10 which gives basic details of any object or for a more interesting account I use the O'Meara DeepSky Companions (Messier, Caldwell & Hidden Treasures) or the Night Sky Observers Guides or the Cambridge Double Star Atlas. I'm afraid the Companion is only kept as a last resort reference book. Out in the field I use the Sky & Telescope Messier and Caldwell laminated cards.

Dave

The The Practical Astronomer's Deep-sky Companion Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series: Amazon.co.uk: Jess K. Gilmour: Books isn't bad.

It's a largish format but slim volume that lists DSO objects by constellation. Each constellation has an overview chart showing the objects and for each object there's a small finder chart, a picture and details of size and magnitude.

It has its flaws (my copy has missing information on the Cygnus constellation chart) but it's handy for example, for getting a idea of what might make a interesting imaging target.

The one reviewer on Amazon gave it a 7/10 which I think is about right.