Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it just me??!!

Bigbear

Well, First I got all excited and researched buying a set of binoculars that would help a beginner like me. Found this great site!! Bought the binoculars!

Secondly I posted here and got great advice! I downloaded "Stellarium" after advice here. Got it working with help. Fantastic.

Thirdly bought a massive tripod. A little overkill, but was cheap at £25.

Had one great night where I saw Mars, Venus and Saturn. Amazing.

But since then it's been cloudy virtually night. What is going on?!

Is it just me? It was great weather before I bought everything!

:):(

It's really irritating. It will be a great day and then......bang.....clouds at night!

This is the cloudiest years I've seen here. Added with the light pollution and you see this strange orange glow reflected off the clouds.

Knowing my luck, it clears once I give up and go to bed!

If you can run to a few pounds then buy Turn left at Orion or one of the good Star atlas's from Amazon, take them into the garden and before long you will be going all over the sky to fantastic sights.

Happy hunting

The sky conditions this year have been very strange indeed and it has been very frustrating to see lovely clear days followed by really cloudy nights but generally the last couple of years have featured unfortunate amounts of moisture in the sky.

All I can say is if you keep at it and take full advantage of the good conditions when they do occur, you are still in for a treat!

No it's not you. In 1997, I decide to take up astronomy again and for my Birthday I got a pair of binoculars to get me started. This was at the beginning of October. From then on I did not get to use them till mid December due to cloud, frustrating to say the least.

Hang on in there, you will be rewarded.

Keep wondering where people are as the sky has been pretty decent here for the last few nights. See that some are Manchester way, just on the normal path for the low pressure weather fronts to go over. So sorry but it tends to cloudier.:p I remember living in Wilts, about the wettest place I have been.

Then I see that BigBear has a location of Asia. For all I know it could be normal weather for out there.:):eek::)

A club near me keeps records and they say that 1 in 4 nights will be suitable for viewing. That 1 in 4 is not a full night but just that 1 in 4 you could do some observing, maybe 2-4:00am perhaps. So you could see clouds at say midnight then have to make a choice about staying up and hoping or giving up and sleeping.:)

Someone did explain why the clear warm days can create a cloudy evening/night. Cannot recall where i read it but it was just a few days ago.:D

Have to say that all we have is pretty normal UK weather. West coast side will be worse in general - standard weather patterns. On a gardening forum someone posted that it had been 100 days since the last rainfall, that was 4 days back, still none.

I was reading on the beeb's weather page earlier, that it's all down to the jet stream drawing the cloud into the North West, and keeping it away from the South east, plus the combination of a high pressure over europe. The same was true last year. The worst thing about it is, we are having little or no rain, just cloud passing over, at the moment a hose pipe ban was put in force on Friday morning.

Simon

We went out with friends on Friday night, and on the way home, I noticed it was as clear as a bell, I could even make out what was what with street lights round me.

Saturday night I left for observing, and clouds everywhere.

Like some one has already mentioned, wait until the nights get darker and colder and all will be well.

Could someone tap up the fortune telling octopus for a prediction?

it all goes to prove that you have to take your chances when/where you find them and as soon as there is a clear sky just get out there ! the number of times ive said to myself Oh I'll just do something else first.. to then find loads of cloud everywhere ! just hope August will be better in time for the Perseids !

It's really irritating. It will be a great day and then......bang.....clouds at night!

This is the cloudiest years I've seen here. Added with the light pollution and you see this strange orange glow reflected off the clouds.

Knowing my luck, it clears once I give up and go to bed!

BINGO !!!!

Last night the sky was soooo orange that i thought it was gonna snow.

Archived