Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Wild clattering noise?

I have a brand new HEQ5 with a 200P on it, and I'm getting a very alarming noise.

When slewing at high speed 6+ on handset I'm getting extremely loud clattering from the gears. It sounds almost as if they're jumping, and the scope does not move smoothly. I placed my hand on the side of the mount whilst it was happening, and could feel what I thought were the gears bouncing against the side... It's not the whirring sound, or the little rattle that happens on deceleration.

Is this normal?

I adjusted the balance of the scope and reduced it for some movements, could i be that I haven't perfectly balanced the scope?

No Adam, this isn't normal, when sewing the mount ought to make a nice whirring noise. Try slewing without a scope on 1st , remove the cover to view the transfer gears and watch the meshing. It might just need a little adjust there or via the backlash ( see Astro Baby's guide for further details. Doesn't sound terminal though and should be an easy fix.

Balancing may contribute too

Thanks for the confirmation. The sound really didn't seem right, but I've never heard a motorised mount before so had no reference.

I took the side panel off, and out dropped one of the hex headed machine screws... So this screw had been bouncing around with the gears, hence the horrid noise. There appears to be no damage and it moves with a nice whirring sound at all speeds. I found an empty hole on one of the motors, and screwed it in there.

Not what I expected to be doing with such an expensive purchase!

Adam

Yes I tried them all, and none of them had any movement in. I have no idea if this one worked itself loose, or was just never actually screwed in.

I really wasn't looking forward to having to return the mount after only 2 days!

Thanks

That was brave of you.

I have an HEQ5 which also makes a wild clattering noise, although it seems to work OK. Never dared to open it up, though! Might at least just take the side panel off to have a look.

I thought just taking the side panel off to have a look should be fairly safe, and would leave my warranty intact. I wasn't expecting a screw to drop on the floor!

I'd say you'd be fine just taking it off to check.

mine didn't seem to be tracking well, so it was affecting the performance. hopefully tonight will be clear enough for a quick test.

I thought just taking the side panel off to have a look should be fairly safe, and would leave my warranty intact. I wasn't expecting a screw to drop on the floor!

I'd say you'd be fine just taking it off to check.

mine didn't seem to be tracking well, so it was affecting the performance. hopefully tonight will be clear enough for a quick test.

Just had a peek. Nothing to see really. All the nuts seems to be nice and tight. The HEQ5 does make a fair bit of noise when decellerating from a slew, as attested by some threads here on this forum.

As they fire up and slow down from a high speed slew they do 'chatter' - you can tune it out in various ways.

It might be worth if your motor has been running without its hex screw to check and see if the washer is still in the mount. As far as I recall the hex screws holding the motor down also have a small lock washer. It might also be worth checking the motor is meshing ok with the gears.

Archived