Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Turn Left At Orion

I am planning on buying this book following recommendations but noticed on a previous thread someone mentioning a 2010 version. Does anyone know anything about this and when it is due to be published? Will it be worth me waiting for the new version?

I have the eighth copy of this book (2008 reprint of the 3rd edition published in 2000) and written inside the sleeve is the comment that "all tables have been updated to the year 2011". Logic would dictate that the book is certainly going to be in need of an update given that the tables are only valid for the near future. Like you, I have checked Amazon, Waterstones etc and can't find any indication of when a new edition is due. Not surprising really given the price of the book, which isn't cheap, because anyone with copies still for sale will want to ensure that they can sell what they have left given that the tables will soon be redundant. Personally I would wait, as there might be other changes to the book and as mentioned above, you would certainly want to receive value for money.

James

I have that book and I can highly recommend it, worth ever penny. Gives you exactly what you are likely to view in smaller scopes and binoculars, really is excellent.

Turn left was reprinted already this year, in the book world a reprint means basically stocks are getting low and they're making more, an 'amendment' is when they're adding bits.

So, it was reprinted in 2010 but a previous print amended the tables to 2020, seems the 2011 version has some more objects added. When i cam to get this book this year i was given the above info by the publishers.

In response to Ray I have the book also. Rarely open it, don't find it useful to me.:):eek::p

Was suggested I get it a couple of years ago, so I did, opened it once perhaps twice in that time. The layout and presentation isn't what I like so it is sat somewhere, not even sure where. :D:icon_scratch:

A lot depends on how a book is presented and whether or not that suits the reader. TLAO doesn't suit me.:):)

TLAO will apparently be updated for larger telescopes. If I recall correctly the descriptions will be for an 8" or above. The grapevine also has it that GOTO scopes might get a section/mention as well.

I would recomend a visit to your local library. They may well have a copy of the book you want on the shelves or available to order. If not they will likely have an undiscovered gem of a book similar to the one you were after. I wanted a copy of TLAO or Nightwatch and my library didn't have either :D but looking on the shelves I found a book called StarWatch by philip harrington - a very easy to use guide to viewing the night sky which I have been renewing for the last 3 months :).

my wife bought this book for me when she got me the scope.:)...was so excited by the scope that only now....two months later am I looking through the book.....should have looked at it sooner:o....buy the book!almost as essential as a pair of bino's:)

I Bought TLAO recently and all tables are updated to 2011. An excellent book, I really like the section on each page headed "What you are looking at" which makes it more exciting when you are actually viewing the object. I have Nightwatch too but cannot tell so far if the tables are updated. Best to get both if you can :)

Archived