SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meteor 12th October 2006

Hi,

Finished doing some maintenance to the observatory roof tonight:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sg.waters/page54.html just been greasing up the roof rails etc.

Then i finished working on the scope itself as it had a wild slew (not anymore though!)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sg.waters/page28.html

Then i decided to make use of the clear sky before the Moon came up too high.

I decided to do some visual observing. Glad i did. I just saw the brightest meteor i have ever seen. It was much larger than a star in size and was a ball shape. Very bright at the centre with a tail trailing behind.

I observed it at 10:35pm GMT on 12th October 2006 it came from the square of Pegasus and moved downwards towards Ursa Major and i lost sight of it as it disappeared behind the roof tops. It was still moving strong though. The event lasted for around 3 seconds, seemed like longer though. This is the slowest meteor i have ever seen.

Got to go, more observing to do!

Regards

Stewart

Stewart

I saw a similar meteor at 9.00pm (20.00UT)

It was a bright pale yellow colour and moved through the weatern side of Pegasus in a SE to NW direction. ie towards Ursa Major. It probably lasted 2-3 seconds.

The meteor had too be bright as the mist was making the skies Mag2.

Anyone know if these were erratics or part of a known shower.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Great!

The one i saw was moving from the centre of Pegasus SE to Ursa Major NW. So they we're virtually the same direction.

This one was very bright white with no signs of any other colurs in it apart from around the edge of the fading tail where it was turning orange as the air cooled down i guess.

It must have skimmed across the Earths atmosphere but from my angle it appeared to drop downwards and from Pegasus to Ursa Major and disappear behind the roof tops.

Can't wait until this months meteor shower peaks. Could be a good one. Just need clear skies now!

Regards

Stewart

Hi Caz,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Fortunately i used to be a landscaper and had a lot of work on. So in my spare time i could build the observatory and had the money at the time of construction from all the work i was doing.

I found the information across the web very good to help design my observatory but couldn't find a place to go to view just info on Roll Off Roof observatories where i could talk to other builders and owners. So i set up a forum about 18 months ago so astronomers intending to build Roll Off Roof observatories could gather as much information as possible. I hope it has helped many people build observatories of their own:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Roll_Off_Roof/

When you win the lottery let me know and we will build you the biggest hi tech amateur observatory you have seen!!! lol

Regards

Stewart

Archived