SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SCT (male) to T (female) adaptor?

Sorry about this folks. I'm still trying to sort out my off axis guider (OAG) set up. If I want to use my f6.3 focal reducer + my OAG I think I'm going to need a SCT (male) to T (female) adaptor or a SCT (male) to T (male) variable length adaptor. Has anyone any idea from where I might obtain either of these wee beasties?

Cheers

Bit confused as to Why......

Can you lay the bits out as you plan to use them and take a pic?

I can't take a picture at the moment. It's to connect from the (female) end of an SCT f6.3 focal reducer to the male T thread on my OAG.

Alternatively, I could connect the two via a male SCT to male T thread (the T thread adaptor on my OAG will unscrew).

Are you getting your genders confused? Male External thread Female Internal thread...?

Nope, I have three children and I can say with some certainty that my kit definitely has an external thread! :p

I'll not be doing you a photo of that ;):eek::)

Ahhh putting the OAG before the reducer and the focuser has a 2 inch push fit...

Whats the lenght of the OAG... Is it somewhere close to 55mm ?

I would have put the OAG straight after the Reducer with the T adaptor on it... then used the SCT-Pushfit adaptor to put the whole lot into the focuser...

Peter...

Hmmmm

Interesting one.....

Have you looked at the various Baader adaptors on the TS site?

A T thread (F) to a 2" (F) and then the 2" (M) to SCT(M) may be an option....

Which make/ model is the OAG? Does it have any other adaptor options? or only T thread???

Whats the length of the OAG... Is it somewhere close to 55mm ?

I would have put the OAG straight after the Reducer with the T adaptor on it... then used the SCT-Pushfit adaptor to put the whole lot into the focuser...

Peter...

Hi Peter

The OAG is 73mm from nose to stern.

Hmmmm

Interesting one.....

Have you looked at the various Baader adaptors on the TS site?

A T thread (F) to a 2" (F) and then the 2" (M) to SCT(M) may be an option....

Which make/ model is the OAG? Does it have any other adaptor options? or only T thread???

It's the older Orion OAG. I bought it secondhand and it has no other adaptors with it.

I've just found a SCT (male) to T (female) adaptor! It looks like Modern Astronomy sell them. I won't order one until I'm sure this arrangement is the best option.

Do any of the threaded parts on the OAG body unscrew to leave a standard t thread perhaps ?

Yes, the T thread on the OAG will inscrew to reveal a female T thread. However, the short male T thread-to-male T thread adaptor that is presently on there has a neat little ring on it that allow me to lock the rotational position of the camera in relation to the OAG. This should greatly help in finding a good guide star.

If I remove this short adaptor I would then need a SCT (male) to T (male) adaptor.

Try True Technology Ltd as well. I had similar problems when trying to connect a manual filter wheel to a 4SE. Quick call to them and they sorted out exactly what I needed (even with my layman's terms of describing) and had the stuff in the post the next day.

Well the latest update is that this whole thread has been a waste of time!

I've tried the proposed set up holding the focal reducer and OAG together and the vignetting is bad. So bad in fact that the OAG can only really see the vignetted part and thus I wouldn't be able to get a decent guide star anyway. Ah well, at least that saves me some money.

As an aside, I've also discovered that my Canon 1000D won't come to focus with the f 6.3 focal reducer fitted on my Orion 80ED anyway. There simply isn't enough back focus. So the focal reducer will only be used on my LX200.

Anyway, thanks for the input and suggestions - it's appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Archived