1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Hi, I have recently acquired a Vixen Skypod but am having some issues in setting the unit up. Following the instructions and aligning it with stars as per instructions it will not then line up with other objects / stars in its database. Being in Australia I point it to the south celestial pole as accurately as I can and set the unit level and then locate 2 stars within 90deg (as per book!). from this point I should then be able to select a star / object from the database and it will goto it BUT! it doesn't. It goes to a new position but nowhere close to to where it should be - often it is is too high and usually to the right of an object. Can anyone help me out on this one please. I like the unit and have found that it can be set on an object and will track it very accurately for a long period of time - I guess I must be doing something not quite right in the in the initial set up but what. :confused. ;)

Cheers Paul :)

Couple of questions Paul:

a) was this a new purchase or second hand?

;) what payload are you putting on the mount?

If the answer to the first is "second hand" then you may need to get the unit checked over to make sure the tension settings on each axis are good.

The second is important in that a scope that weighs less than the specified payload but which is "too large" for the mount and/or is unbalanced (are you using the counterweight?), will cause problems in alignment and thus go to performance.

Cheers, Pete

Sales and Marketing Manager - Opticron (Vixen UK Distributor)

Hi Pete, thanks for your reply, yes the unit is second hand but is as new, it has been owned by a friend from new (about a yr old) and I can confirm that it has been looked after very well. I have been mounting a small refractor scope on it - well under the weight limit and I do have the balance weight installed. I have noticed that sometimes when I set up it is closer than other times and this may be the difference in pointing the "blue" end to the south celestial pole (not easy when there's only a hypothetical point in the sky) so I am assuming that this is part of the problem too. Another thing i have noticed is the time zone setting - it can only be set in 1 hour increments and my time zone is 9.5 or 10.5 depending on time of yr so this may also impact on its accuracy too. Our astronomy group has a viewing night this weekend so I will have another go setting up then. ;)

Cheers Paul

I think you might have just identified the problem... the time zone - are you adjusting for the half an hour when you put in your time? Half an hour difference can be a difference of 7.5 degrees in the sky.

Helen

Hi Helen, I have gone through the whole setup tonight and I cant find any way of putting in +9.5 hours its 9 or 10. Tonight I set it up very carefully (got very cold doing it too :)) and noticed by following the book I had missed out the initial slew from home position to an object in the database - I did this and then 2 more alignments and it was much closer when moving to other objects and I reckon the 7.5 degs you mention would be about right - with a 25mm eyepiece most object were somewhere in view ;). I guess I may be getting the best I can and if so that's not too bad and may get better with practice.

Thanks but would still welcome any more help / tips etc on getting the best from this unit.

Cheers Paul

Can't you get around it by adjusting the time you enter? eg add or subtract 30 mins from your local time (depending on whether you use the 9 or the 10). Alternatively just use GMT, convert your local time to GMT and use the GMT time zone.

HTH

Helen

Hi Helen (and Others) Now why didn't I think of changing the time???? :). Thanks for all the other stuff - it all helps and makes you think - its so easy to look for a complicated solution to a problem that maybe has a very simple one. I will be having another go on Saturday at our viewing night although the weather forecast is not too good - rain and our viewing site is 25km away out in the bush accessible only on dirt tracks - here's hoping. ;)

Cheers Paul